Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, April 08, 2020

CAN GYMS CLOSED BY PANDEMIC KEEP BILLING MEMBERS?

State law prohibits health clubs that are closed for longer than a month during the COVID-19 pandemic from billing members who pay month-to-month, the office of Maryland Attorney General Brian Frosh said.

For members with contracts of at least three months, gyms, health clubs, fitness centers and self-defense schools must either extend contracts for the equivalent time of the closure or provide prorated refunds.

“Additionally, Fitness Centers cannot require that members proactively take action to freeze their membership or charge freeze fees as a result of the mandated closures,” a statement from Frosh’s office said.

All gyms, health clubs, fitness centers and self-defense schools in the state have been closed to the public since March 16 due to the COVID-19 crisis. Gov. Larry Hogan’s stay-at-home executive order mandated that Marylanders stay at home and closed all non-essential businesses.

More

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow did not know that.

Anonymous said...

Although I agree that these pricks shouldn't charge members when the gyms are closed, I wouldn't trust Frosh to tell me the sky is blue.

Anonymous said...

Can bars and clubs closed by Larry Hogan keep paying staff and bands?
I think there should be a class action suit against the state for the inequity of their closings “procedure”.

Anonymous said...

Daycare providers do, why no gyms?

Anonymous said...

What about daycares

Anonymous said...

If my gym takes more money this month I’m just going to cancel. They got me once already.

Anonymous said...

I cancelled my Y membership. I'm moving once this mess is over. They wanted me to make a monthly donation instead, I declined. After a bit more communication they relented and cancelled. They do auto draft of your bank account and I bet some people don't even think about it. But not working now so that $50 is needed for more important things.

Anonymous said...

April 8, 2020 at 9:40 PM:

Read the fine print. You may be surprised how much it costs to cancel.

Anonymous said...

YES they can charge you, and you have to pay bc you are in a unbreakable contract!!!

Anonymous said...

Sure hope these gyms are still paying their staff. No reason they can’t when they’re still charging us the same monthly fees.