Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, March 14, 2020

Mnuchin floats suspending student loan payments as part of pandemic economic response

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said Friday that the administration is considering a three-month suspension for student loan payments to help shore up the economy as it is hit by the fallout from the coronavirus pandemic.

"I can tell you that's on our list of 50 different items we're bringing to the president for a decision. So that will be something we're looking at," Mnuchin told CNBC.

The proposal would only suspend payments on what students owe. It would not reduce the amount owed.

More

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why can't we be all inclusive? My Range Rover SUV payment is pretty expensive. I would like our government to pick up the tab on some of that as I struggle with this virus. Maybe they can erase my interest payments?

Anonymous said...

I would like help on my mortgage too. I don't see why anyone who owes money should get a break from the Government. It should come from the bank or mortgage company after all they are the ones receiving the pay roll tax break not us taxpayers. I for one don't approve of helping those with student loans. If it is so bad let the colleges step in and help - why always the taxpayers?