Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, January 27, 2020

Stuck In Sinus Hell? Common Nasal Sprays May Be Best Option For Relief

Stuffy sinuses making you miserable? Before scheduling a doctor’s appointment, you might want to be more diligent with over-the-counter (OTC) nasal sprays. According to a recent study, regular, consistent use of saline or cortico-steroid nasal sprays can help reduce antibiotic and oral steroid use for symptom flareups.

The medical term for congested sinuses is chronic rhinosinusitis (CRS). CRS is to the sinuses what asthma is to the lungs. Those who suffer from the condition experience half or more of the following symptoms: nasal obstruction, nasal drainage, facial pain/pressure and decreased sense of smell — for at least 12 weeks. Though not fatal like asthma, CRS produces a lot of misery along with the mucus.

A team of researchers led by the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine studied 150 patients who were being managed for chronic rhinosinusitis at Massachusetts Eye and Ear. The results of the study showed that OTC saline or cortico-steroid sprays help with symptoms by thinning out mucus and relieving sinus swelling, thus reducing substantially the need for prescription drugs.

More

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I consider myself an expert on this.
I suffered the first flare-up about 20 years ago, and after ten years of episodes (lasting 8 weeks or so) I finally found "the cure".
1. Drink plenty of water - always. Before, during and after the flare-up.
2. DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL! The worst: One glass of red wine.
3. Breathe steam. Breathe steam. (So important I said it twice!)
4. Purchase a Vick's Personal Steamer and use it whenever you can.
5. For really bad episodes, fill a saucepan with water; boil it; and carefully breathe in the steam over the stove.
6. Antibiotics don't work. Don't waste your money. Neither do nasal sprays.

While doing all this doesn't actually "cure" it, it lessens the pain 100%.

Signed: A Two-Decade Sufferer.

Anonymous said...

D-Bury is sinus Hell !!!!

Anonymous said...

Another good suggestion:

Filter the air you breath outside.
Outside is the most dangerous air.
Remember, what they spray must come down.
Since you don't know what they are spraying, I suggest very strongly that you wear a facial mask to filter the air while outdoors.

Obviously, it is no longer safe to remain outdoors for long periods of time.

Anonymous said...

Afrin and it's generics are addictive and within a week is needed many times daily just to keep up. Quit, and you will be fine in 2 says. Had no idea until a co-worker told me. It's true. Good for a day or two, really works, but then back off to saline and Yes, drink WATER!

Anonymous said...

Try "Flonase", it is a miracle spray for me. A little expensive but it works

Anonymous said...

Nasal sprays are addictive. Once you start using them, your nose will never clear up unless you keep using the spray. If you stop, your sinuses will swell right back up again. Best to AVOID nasal sprays. Read the label.

Anonymous said...

I’ve been in sinus hell for about a month now. Thanks for the tips 2 decade sufferer. I’m going to give it a try.

Anonymous said...

Afrin doesn't have the rebound effect. Cortizone sprays do, such as Neo Syneferin (sp)

Anonymous said...

I am the 10:38 poster. Started using flonase 3 years ago after 4 days of not being able to breathe through my nose. After trying other sprays and pumps for years, as a last resort, I bought a pump bottle of flonase even though I thought it to be well over priced. The next day I was breathing normal again. Using flonase 2 times per week in the high pollen times of the year works wonders for me. This is not a commercial, just trying to help others who are suffering as I did

Anonymous said...

Flonase helped me to breathe when I had a serious sinus infection. It wasn't a magical cure for my symptoms, but it helped me to breathe a little until I recovered through the use of antibiotics. I was hoping for more relief from my symptoms than what I got. I believe it is more useful to allergy sufferers, but not as effective for sinus infections and the flu.

Anonymous said...

Flonase does nothing for me.