Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, December 26, 2019

Campaigners call on government to give compensation to ex-military members kicked out of the armed forces because of their sexuality

Campaigners have called on the government to compensate more than 150 people who claim they were thrown out of the armed forces because of their sexuality.

Gay people were not allowed to serve in the military until a rule change in 2000.

Now, prominent LGBT+ campaigner Peter Tatchell told The Independent that thousands of people could have been sacked for their sexuality, and the MOD should contact them all to offer compensation.

He said: 'The MoD should be contacting all those people to advise them that they are eligible for compensation.

More

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for all the people who didn't serve to give us their opinions.

Anonymous said...

Gays were always allowed in military. People just kept it to themselves. Sign the contract your govt property. Nobody cares then and nobody cares now.

Anonymous said...


I did serve for 7 years and I'll give my opinion.

These people knew the rules and requirements and signed a contract agreeing to abide by them.

The military (read: US taxpayers) doesn't owe them anything, and would be FOOLISH to be the next group to cave.

.

Anonymous said...

More people used a baseless claim of homosexuality as an easy out of the military than were actually thrown out because of violating the rules.

Anonymous said...

I.too.served 3 years. In a unit near mine one male homosexual was discharged from the Army because of his behavior, which included molesting male roomates in the night.

Transgender @ Salisbury University said...

Jake Day hasn't been kicked out yet

Anonymous said...

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I can't wait for all the people who didn't serve to give us their opinions.

December 26, 2019 at 11:37 AM

You think only people who served are allowed an opinion on gays in the military? If you do you would be wrong. I really hope I don't have to list all the reasons why you are wrong. It should be obvious.

Anonymous said...

I once did drill on a base in Harrisburg, Pa. One of the 'men' station there active duty followed me into a bathroom stall and looked at my junk and made a comment. It wasn't welcome, warranted or encouraged. They have been in the military since we have had a military.

But that's just my opinion. I hope I am allowed to have one since some people think only vets can have an opinion. Reminds me of when cops used to say, 'you have no clue what we cops go thru' and crap like that.

Don't ask, don't tell. Remember that?