Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, June 05, 2019

DODGEBALL IS A TOOL OF OPPRESSION, RESEARCHERS SAY

A team of Canadian researchers are set to lecture teachers about the moral dangers of dodgeball, a sport they say teaches kids to single out and violently dominate weaker students.

Dodgeball is a tool of “oppression” and “miseducative,” the researchers say in the abstract of a paper cited by the National Post, which they will present in Vancouver at the Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences, a summit for thousands of academics happening in early June. The “hidden curriculum” it teaches students is out of step with the larger curriculum, they argue.

“As we consider the potential of physical education to empower students by engaging them in critical and democratic practices, we conclude that the hidden curriculum is antithetical to this project, even when it reflects the choices of the strongest and most agile students,” the abstract reads.

More

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm , seems to be true , I used to pick out the weak and slow to react . It's the old saying of survival of the fittest . If you can't play well , then go away , far away. I used to pick on the 2 blacks in my class. Easy targets.

Anonymous said...

It teaches strategy, team building, and critical thinking.

Guess what? The world is not fair. Teaching kids how to compete is the right thing to do.

bob pinto said...

I had a ball ( no pun intended) playing dodgeball and in junior high a variation, bombardment.

One time you're dodging , another you're trying to clobber the opponent. We laughed during and after the game..

Funny how those northern hosers don't have a problem with violence in hockey.

Anonymous said...

I consider myself to be "woke" as the kids say. I'm 42 and i do agree Dodgeball is antiquated. I was a jock and loved playing it, but i remember the kids who hated it. Teach kids about fitness and team building other ways. Same as spelling bees. Their time has come and gone. Every piece of technology you use to communicate will not allow you to misspell, if you pay attention.

Anonymous said...

Dodge ball is antiquated. Paintball is much better

Anonymous said...

Just more PC BS - I was one of those kids who was small, weak, wore glasses and nerdy - I had the snot pounded out of me by my peers and I learned that the world is not fair. I tool those lessons learned in my formative years, and applied them in a positive manner and am happily retied today. I for one, can say, that reality check did much for me

Anonymous said...

So, will we consider Affirmative Action dodgeball?

Anonymous said...

Hey 5:19
, I may have whipped the snot out of you , it was fun.

Anonymous said...

I remember shooting pool at "Guys and Dolls' back in the 60's , we would get pissed off and use pool balls as dodge balls. They hurt!

Anonymous said...

Affirmative action is a government word for legal racial racial discrimination against white people. Funny thing is it helped white women more than anyone.

Anonymous said...

Liberals are the biggest tools of oppression of all.

Anonymous said...

Spell check. Lol.