Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, May 06, 2019

Driver passes DUI check, gets fined for having dog in lap

A driver in New South Wales, Australia, who passed a random breathalyzer test, was issued a ticket for driving with a dog on his lap last month.

“Driving with an animal on your lap is extremely dangerous and can interfere with the driver's ability to control the vehicle,” the Traffic and Highway Patrol Command wrote on Facebook.

The fine for the offense was the equivalent of $312 and 3 points on his license, and he wasn’t the only one that was clueless on the violation. News.com.au reports that several commenters said that they had no idea the act was against the law.

The rules on unrestrained pets vary state to state in the U.S, with several including Hawaii and Arizona specifically banning pets from the driver’s lap or vicinity, according to Puppy Traffic School, while some treat a lap dog (or cat, or bird, etc.) as a distraction and others are more ambiguous about the act.

More
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/driver-passes-dui-dog-lap

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see this all the time with old timers in very large trucks, which would typically take corners and bends slowly, but with a dog on their lap, they drive even slower. Retired and don't give a Fu$&! They need to be ticketed and removed from the road. They cause aggressive driving by driving slower than big rigs on a rural road. I despise those kind of drivers who have no respect for others driving, because they want their dog to sit on their lap. I love dogs, but I was rear ended by one of those drivers, totaled my car, and I received less than what I just put into the vehicle in upkeep. Yes, I am bitter towards those idiots.

Anonymous said...


Jake and lapdog council most affected.

Anonymous said...

Take a pill Bro.

Anonymous said...

@656 they cause “aggressive drivers”. Old people force younger people and truckers to brake the law? Huh I never new that. Vote Robert Francis

Anonymous said...

I usually drive the speed limit or slightly above it. When someone starts tailgating me and wanting me to go faster I reduce my speed by 10 mph, if that doesn't get them off my ass I drop down 10 more. Then smile and wave if they pass