Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, August 07, 2018

ICE Ramps Up I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Enforcement: Thank You President Trump

Various sources confirm that U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has significantly increased its worksite enforcement efforts, particularly in Maryland. The hospitality industry has traditionally been a target of such enforcement action. Because non-compliance penalties can be substantial, now is a good time to make sure that your workplace is in compliance with current employment verification requirements.

As of 09/18/17, employers were required to use only the most recent version (07/17/17) of Form I-9 for all new hires. This Form currently shows an expiration date of 08/31/19 at the top. Expired versions of Form I-9 used for new hires after 09/17/17 are not valid. Always make sure management is using a valid Form I-9 for new hires.

Form I-9 records must be retained in accordance with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) retention and storage rules. Generally, employers must produce I-9 records within 3 days of receiving an inspection notice.

For more information about Form I-9 and verifying employment eligibility (including the optional E-Verify companion to the I-9), visit I-9 Central.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They need to hit the produce and sod farm industry.

Anonymous said...

Where's Randy Day?? This will wipe out georgetown