Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, April 05, 2018

O'Malley: I added a Democrat to Congress but I hope Supreme Court ends partisan gerrymandering

I responded to GOP gerrymandering with my own, but I hope the Supreme Court ends partisan redistricting. It's polarizing Congress and America.

The Supreme Court is now considering challenges from two states on how we draw congressional districts: a Wisconsin map drawn by a Republican governor, and a Maryland map drawn by a Democratic governor — me.

We have historically allowed a partisan motive in redrawing these borders every 10 years to account for population growth and shifts. But now, at a time of deep division and polarization in our national politics, the court is re-examining that. It could end up reining in or maybe even disallowing partisan motives in redistricting.

For the sake of our democracy, I sincerely hope that's what the court does.

I was a re-elected governor of Maryland in 2010 on the eve of national redistricting. It was not a good year for Democrats. We lost governor’s races in quite a few states where Democratic voters actually outnumbered Republicans.

More/Video

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

All Gerrymandering should be outlawed. We have established county lines, those should be the districts, end of the BS.

Anonymous said...

Dream on fool you add NOTHING your a taker.Please just go away and STFU

Anonymous said...

ditto 6:53!!

Anonymous said...

he must be [planning another run for something

Anonymous said...

Leave him alone. The poor guy can't get a job even after all those years he lined othe people's pockets. He's simply not likeable.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sick of all the parroting wolves and their "DEMOCRACY".

Anonymous said...

I think it is actually called "Dumbocracy", because of all the dumb people that believe there is such a real thing in America.