Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, April 04, 2018

Hawaii Lawmakers Approve Medical Aid in Dying for Terminally Ill

Bill allows individuals to obtain doctor’s prescription for medication to hasten their death…

Hawaii would become the seventh U.S. state to legalize physician-assisted suicide for terminally ill patients under legislation passed by the state Senate on Thursday and sent to the governor.

The bill would allow terminally ill individuals to obtain a doctor’s prescription for medication to hasten their death so long as two physicians agree the patient has no more than six months to live and is mentally competent.

The measure also would require a patient seeking life-ending medical aid to undergo a mental health evaluation, to present two separate requests to an attending physician and for two witnesses to attest to the patient’s wish to die.

While a doctor could dispense the medication, patients would be required to take it on their own.

Read more

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this!! We treat our animals better than our loved ones. No one should have to suffer

Anonymous said...

Wish Maryland would approve this.

Anonymous said...

Finally, some common sense.

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with 3:07.
I've watched as my grandparents, my father and my other friends and relatives have suffered either through cancer or a massive stroke and ended up wasting away before dying a painful death.

I personally don't want to go out this way. I would rather leave under my own terms while I still had my facilities and free will.
I know the church says different, but I think technology in its ability to prolong life also prolongs suffering.

I would rather not be an expense or burden to my family and leave them with a heavy debt due to prolonged care. When the time is right, I want it to be my choice and not the governments. I believe in death with dignity.