Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Eating Slowly May Be Key To Losing Weight

If you want to shed some pounds without changing what you eat, try changing how you eat. A new study finds that three simple eating habits could make all the difference when it comes to fitting into those older, tighter pants collecting dust in your closet.

Researchers from the Kyushu University Graduate School of Medical Sciences say people who eat their meals slowly, avoid nighttime snacking, and don’t go to sleep until at least two hours have passed since dinner are more likely to see their waistlines shrink.

For the study, the researchers obtained data from regular checkups of 59,717 Japanese men and women diagnosed with type-2 diabetes during 2008 and 2013. In addition to having their BMI and waistlines measured, they also submitted blood and urine samples, and completed questionnaires on their health and lifestyles.

The surveys included questions on eating and sleeping habits, including a self-assessment of how fast the participants ate food, how soon they went to bed after dinner, and the frequency with which they snacked at night. About 37 percent admitted gobbling down their meals quickly, while only 7 percent took his or her time with each bite.

Upon their first checkups, the researchers found the small minority that ate slowly tended to show healthier lifestyles than those who ate fast or at normal speeds.

More

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't listen to these so called experts.

Anonymous said...

I suddenly want pizza.

Anonymous said...

I've heard this one before, and I'm sure it is true. A valid counter point to be made is that, myself included, don't dedicate 30 minutes, 3 times a week to cardio or even moderate activity. I use to bartend. I weighed about 178lbs. I retired after 18 years and focused on my 9-5 job. I noticed that I ate much less, but was slowly gaining weight. After 8 months I reached my current weight. It is over 40lbs more and really hasn't changed over the last 5 years. Last month I moved and spent about a week of moderate exercise and lost 5lbs. Jeans were definitely looser.

I don't think eating fast is the problem most Americans are facing. It is the issue of 30 minutes of exercise, 3 times a week that most people are not willing to dedicate to exercise. Cleaning the house does not count, which I hear a lot of people want to count as exercise.

Anonymous said...

My recumbent bike is saving my life.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting personal testimony on losing weight by eating slowly was on the
Forestry Forum / Grandpas Diet a while back.

Anonymous said...

Eat clean. Eat small portions. Nothing past 6pm. Drink the recommended water intake very important. Work out 30 minutes 6 days a week. I lost 100 pounds 8 years ago and haven't gained a pound back. Now I just eat clean whenever I want and my body stays the same weight. I still work out everyday because it's my thing now.. clean/portion control/exercise/water

Anonymous said...

This is true. Take your time and chew long and happily. Eating slowly will fill you up sooner and stop your eating because you will be feeling full sooner. Then you can stop eating sooner than before.

Anonymous said...

I disagree that cleaning house doesn't count. If you are moving you are burning calories. I weigh under 100 lbs. Always have. Believe it is in your genes. I do believe some medicines cause you to retain fat. Diabetes type 2 is one I can think of. Exercise is good if you don't overdo it according to your age.