Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Wheelchair athlete honoured for rock climb

Wheelchair-bound Lai Chi-wai could be the first Chinese athlete to win the Laureaus World's Best Sporting award, after he was nominated for climbing Hong Kong's Lion Rock.

Lai Chi-wai, the first Chinese athlete to be nominated for the Laureaus World's Best Sporting award, hopes his success will inspire both athletes with disabilities and Chinese people that there are no limits to pursuing your dreams.

A four-time champion of the Asian Rock Climbing Championships and the world's first Chinese winner of the X-Game's extreme sports, 35-year-old Lai had a bright career ahead of him until a car accident left him paralysed hip down in 2011.

Despite his physical limitations, Lai pushed on, trying a range of wheelchair sports including boxing, fencing and table tennis. But nothing could replace his love for rock climbing,.

"To me climbing to the top was accomplishing a dream of mine and it also - by climbing the mountain - meant that I could show to my friends and supporters that I have overcome one of the lowest points in life: even though I'm in a wheelchair I can challenge other sports and still be able to do what I love most," Lai told Reuters.

More here

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's about the dumbest thing I have seen! What the use of pulling the wheelchair up with him? He doesn't need it to climb a rockface. That's got to be a joke.