Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Sen. Collins Says News Coverage of Her Tax Vote ‘Unbelievably Sexist’

Republican Senator Susan Collins ripped news coverage of her decision to vote for the GOP tax-cut bill as "unbelievably sexist" on Tuesday.

"I cannot believe that the press would have treated another senator with 20 years of experience as they have treated me," the Maine senator told reporters at the Capitol.

"They’ve ignored everything that I’ve gotten, and there have been stories after stories about how I’ve been duped," she said. "How are you duped when all of your amendments get accepted? And when the majority leader -- and I confirmed it again today with him -- will be offering the two insurance bills that I care about as well as the provision waiving the automatic cut in Medicare that could be triggered by this bill?"

Collins criticized a reporter, whom she didn’t identify, who covered her meeting with people suffering from serious health conditions.

"The reporter actually wrote that I didn’t cry," Collins said. The same group met with Arizona GOP Senator Jeff Flake, Collins said, but there was no mention of his lack of tears. "I can’t imagine a reporter writing that about a male senator," she said.

More

No comments: