Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, November 13, 2017

First Ever Opah Caught off of Ocean City, MD

The way the inshore fishing has been going I figured I might get a few pics of tautog and rockfish today (which I did), but I never thought that I’d get the text that I got this afternoon or see the fish that I saw tonight.

At about 2:30 this afternoon I got a text from offshore from my buddy Captain Austin Ensor of the Primary Search out of Sunset Marina that read, “I need you to call someone at DNR and ask them if Opah (yes the west coast round orange fish) are legal to harvest in MD.) After about 5 minutes of waiting while I pondered how drunk Austin might have gotten himself offshore I got another….”Please! I have a 80-100 pound sword and an “expletive deleted” opah on board…..it’s huge and orange!”

I immediately called my DNR connection and he assured me that Opah, being that one has never been caught out of Maryland…EVER, was not regulated by MD DNR and was therefore ok to harvest. I sent Austin the text confirming that he could keep the fish, but I’ll be honest…..I couldn’t believe it was actually an opah until I saw it for myself.

More

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not the first but it's been a very long time since one has been caught off Ocean City

Anonymous said...

Funny, I thought it said 'Oprah'.

lmclain said...

Seems to be a pretty rare fish around here...
So did they release it or kill it?
My money is on "killed it".

Anonymous said...

It is a warm blooded fish. They are in the atlantic but rarely caught recreationally.

Anonymous said...

Lol that's a WHALE.

Anonymous said...

Call the taxidermist.

Anonymous said...

2:27 Just like all the tournaments in OC. They kill everything. So sad for the recreational fishermen that want to catch and release billfish.

Anonymous said...

But if you ever do reel in an Oprah 1:37 I would advise you to cut your line.

Anonymous said...

It is rare, so I will kill it. Sad mentality.

Anonymous said...

It is not rare. It is plentiful in numbers. Just rarely caught in any Atlantic waters.

The sad mentality is that of people whom make uneducated assumptions...