Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Steve McQueen: The salvation of an American icon

This spring they actually found it. Steve McQueen’s iconic 1968 Ford Mustang GT. Only traces of its original highland green paint job remained as it had sat unnoticed in a backyard in Mexico for years. Collectors had been searching for it for decades.

Of course, this is not just any old ’68 Stang. This was one of the original cars used in the classic Steve McQueen film Bullitt, a film that defined “cool” for a generation of Americans.

Now, I get it. This wasn’t discovering the Ark of the Covenant or the Ten Commandments, but the discovery stopped me dead in my tracks for two reasons.

First, I own a 1968 Bullitt myself. Not the original, of course, but a very close replica. You can call it my “midlife crisis!” People either “get it” or they don’t. On more than one occasion, when I have parked it in the lot, I will return with two or more admirers (always guys) standing by it with lots of questions.

More
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/07/08/steve-mcqueen-salvation-american-icon.html

No comments: