Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, June 29, 2017

This Is What Happens When The Pavement Is Too Hot For Your Dog


All-over-it dog lovers know the basics of keeping dogs safe in summer: Bring lots of water with you on walks, watch for the signs of your dog overheating and never, ever, ever leave a dog in the car - even on days that don't seem that warm.

But it might come as a surprise to even the most type-A pup owners that the very pavement beneath your dog's paws could be sizzling hot. And hot pavement can have gruesome and painful consequences.

"Asphalt gets very hot and can burn your pet's paws, so walk your dog on the grass if possible," the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) urged. But sometimes it can be hard to tell.

More

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never seen a K-9 or seeing eye dog that had a problem with walking on pavement. If Limelight Lewis or his stormtroopers ever bring a K-9 around my car on a hot day, I will call the Sarah McLachlan, the SPCA and Humane society.

Anonymous said...

I deliberately drive in grocery store parking lots looking for signs of people leaving their dogs in hot cars. And I call the police if i see it.
If it is too hot for you to walk on the sidewalk, roadway in your bare feet, then it it too hot for your puppy to be there. People are just too sick. It is not funny.

Anonymous said...

This happens, as a kid I had my dog follow me all day while riding my bike. Never noticed it until I got home and parents spotted the bloody paws. Took him to the vet and he died there. I still am saddened and regret that happening. I tied him up so he wouldn't follow, but he broke free and caught up with me a mile or so away from home.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this!
Aimal's paws
may be a bit tougher then humans but many
people are uneducated about animals. Remember
it's the same with Snow . When a friend of mine
ask her Vet about letting her dog out for long
periods in the Snow, he ask/told her, "Would you
want to walk in it barefoot for long periods? ---
Well, neither does the dog."