Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

A Comment Worthy Of A Post

Alexis said...

As someone who was raped at 17 in western md I can tell you that all types of government officials cover up these things and pretend they don't happen. When I was taken to the hospital the first thing the "specially trained trauma nurse" said to me was that the states attorney wouldn't be happy to hear that the room had to be used...I was thinking it was because it meant someone had been assaulted... But, she continued with "it hasn't been used since last June and he's still talking about how that incident effected his career". I remember this so distinctly because I had grown up with this mans daughter and had many sleepovers in his own house and I didn't believe a word of it. Until I started talking to detectives who not only told me that since I was " basically 18" so there were no laws to help me with statutory rape in Maryland (which is NOT true!!!) And then later tried to persuade me away from allowing the nurse to take pictures of me (which she informed me that cases without pictures generally aren't taken seriously in court) because they "didn't think I'd want someone who I knew that well to see pictures of me like that". My mother at that point said he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near my case because of the relationship and it would be a major conflict of interest and both detectives at that point told me no, he would be literally looking at the pictures with a microscope... After a while of this it became very apparent where all this was going. They didn't want me to " complain " about what happened because a complaining woman means a court case and a court case means publicity. Unfortunately, many of these elected officials dont care if rapes happen- they just don't want them to become public knowledge because that could effect how people see them and trust them. Not surprisingly, a month later I got a call that all of my clothes, the samples they collected, nearly my entire rape kit, had been "misplaced". Because if you can't get the woman to quiet her voice that's the next best thing because prosecutors don't even like rape cases because of how hard they are to win- NO prosecutor is going to trial with an eighth of a rape kit. The detective acted like this was the best thing that could happen and told me he didn't think I could understand the " emotional turmoil" a court case could cause and that I could "finally start healing now"... He didn't understand why I started crying and couldn't talk until he awkwardly hung up the phone... By saying I could start healing now he suggested that I was safe, other people were safe from this man, and maybe I had gotten some type of justice. Instead, I had to withdraw from college, try to completely avoid an entire part of the county, and pray pray pray that this all hadn't just taught this man that he could get away with it so he'd do it again,and again, and again. But yet, maybe that's already what was happening. Maybe he'd already realized that these cases and their victims are generally not taken seriously and are pushed out of sight,out of mind. These officials are doing no one a favor by suppressing these stories...and this article really shows the proof of that. It says the police officer says it was a " professional job"...well with 15 victims and possibly more that didn't come forward I'm sure they've become quite efficient. The saddest part is that by not even giving some type of warning out to the public these officials are allowing these women to put themselves in dangerous situations and not even realize it. We need to open our eyes to the realities around us, no matter how dim and dark, and protect ourselves; because obviously no one else is going to.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what hapoened at the city council meeting ? NOTHINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Anonymous said...

Personally, I have no first hand experience with this heinous crime. I think that is well since I am convinced that a perpetrator might have been looking at the business end of a shotgun. These acts are cowardly to say the least and any man that must resort to that level is either a poor excuse for a human being or so sick that he should be reduced to eunich status. Any man committing this act does not deserve to retain his maleness obviously lacking good sense to use it properly. Drunkenness, drug abuse, meanness, or just plain violence are no excuse and the law should take a very hard stance on these matters. As a parent it is an outrage to me and again I take a very hard line approach to meeting out discipline.

Anonymous said...

Many still believe rape isn't a crime, but if men were raped it would be. Men actually can be raped but they're usually too chicken to admit it when they've been victimized. Talk about sexist attitudes.

Anonymous said...

Every woman needs to be ready, willing, and able to defend herself by whatever means necessary. The justice system is still, in many ways, stacked against a woman, when it functions at all. I live by the motto my dad taught me "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6".

JoeAlbero said...

I am so proud of Alexis and I can't thank her enough for sharing her incredible and unfortunate experience.

While so many others have attacked our exposure last Sunday about this local experience, I'm amazed that so many WOMEN are making this woman guilty before innocent.

I've been at this for 13 years. I know what stories to publish and what stories to throw away. You people have no idea how many nay sayers against Salisbury News have sent in false stories.

Just look at the ALLEGED phone spoof the Daily Times was involved in with the former Mayor.

They'll go to massive extremes to try to belittle and defame us in any way possible. Some have stooped so low that they have attacked my Wife and even Grandson. They say I've been convicted of perjury, another LIE. Charged, yes, found guilty, NO. Your former elected official was behind that charge too.

Rape convictions are one of the most difficult cases to prove. Law enforcement knows this and they'll obviously do everything they can to scare the crap out of victims, especially if they want to believe something just isn't 100% in the victims story.

Yes, are there a majority of alleged rape victims who get drunk at a frat party and wake up the next morning somewhere they shouldn't be and call rape, absolutely. However, as I have brought forth numerous times in my articles about Lewis and Day, are you claiming NOTHING happened, no carjacking, no kidnapping, no assault, no rape??? It would seem from last night's SPD Press release they are in fact denying ANYTHING happened and THIS is going to come back and bite them hard.

Again Alexis, Thank You for opening they eyes of the blind. Shame on all these women who already made up their minds and trust what the SPD has stated.

Finally, I'll repeat, the SPD has LOST numerous cases/lawsuits recently because they were caught LYING. Yet you haven't read about ONE of the many cases the City has lost. GO FIGURE!

JoeAlbero said...

Since it is very clear to me that police officers are now coming on here trying to make "anonymous" comments I will simply state, save it for your lawyers. YOU are NOT going to come on here and try to defame or belittle this woman or any other victim with your twisted details. You'll have your day but it won't be here.

Anonymous said...

Dems are bringing illegal aliens to trumps address to congress tonight at 9 wanna bet someone shouts at trump ?

Anonymous said...

Of course nothing happened at the city council meeting 947 because local law enforcement doesn't take crime here seriously. Maybe it's time for Federal Law Enforcement to get involved.

Anonymous said...

FBI is no stranger to Salisbury. It's time they came down and investigated the investigators and local government. A lot of things are being swept under the carpet and ignored. Has anyone called the governor about this and the embezzlement situation with the city?

Anonymous said...

Joe and everyone else, let this be a lesson to you, that cops don't care about you, nor do they care to help you... This is another first hand experience to prove that point... Not to mention, when the MSP told me to my face, they wouldn't arrest the man who broke into my girlfriends house and stole stuff... Even though they knew where he was and evidence of the crime... They waited to get him on drug charges, becasue he was a drug user, and never brought up or mentioned the robbery... Cops don't want to do the reports, or work hard, they are wards of the state and just want to make money for the state, while "just doing my job" or "just following orders"...

Why do you think nothing gets solved in SBY??? Why is it only drug offenses and DUI and DWI's that get pushed to the courts??? IT is any crime that makes the police department and the city or state money!!!

My question, yet again is, where are the ass cheek sucking cop lovers??? I don't see them defending cops on this one!!!! But remember, it is your fault, it is all your fault why this girl got raped and it is your fault why cops commit crimes and do what they do... Remember that!!!!

Anonymous said...

I have a 15 year old daughter and I would kill for her!

Anonymous said...

Alexis,
thank you so much for sharing this horrific story. You are a very brave and courageous woman to share your story in the effort to shed light on the cover ups and to help other woman who face a similar situation. These attorneys care more about their own reputation than they do about yours. it's shameful.
I hope your story will show the State's attorneys the problems in their departments.

Anonymous said...

It's really a catch-22. In one hand you have victims who don't report rape because of the way society treats rape victims including law enforcement; while on the other, you have women like that 20-something gal at UVA who lied because she was embarrassed the day after for consenting to multiple sex partners. It is very hard to investigate those cases because people will lie, on both sides. However, to demonize victims who have come forward and are not the type to consent to wild sex or go to kegers and rush to judgment is insane behavior, especially when many of the naysayers are women! Says a lot about the people here in Salisbury when they re-victimize a victim. It reminds me of that movie with Jodie Foster called The Accused. Sad but stories like that are not made-for-drama, but based on real situations.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this !!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that this happened to you! I am also a Rape SURVIVOR - not a VICTIM! I came forth, went through all the nasty nasty questions, and accusations! They were worse than anything you could have ever imagined! But I went to court! I saw it all the way through! I held my head high, and still do!

Anonymous said...

2:26, that's because 75% of sex assaults are proven to made up and false.