Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, June 05, 2016

A Letter To The Editor: At risk 14 y.o. Girl

My name is Robert Bacon and I have assumed temporary guardianship of a 14 year old girl who has not attended school in Wicomico county for almost a year and a half. She was living with her mother along with 4 other adults in a motel room and all the adults seem to have substance abuse problems. I live with her aunt who received her call for help. The child has told me she reached her breaking point when she gave up the bed provided by her mother to the only working adult in the room and was sleeping on the floor to allow this person a bed to sleep in. She said she was woke up around 3 am when someone spilled a full beer on her head and soaked her and her pillow. She said she was crying when she had to shower the alcohol off of her. Her aunt (my girlfriend) and I have taken her into our home and are providing a safe place for her to prosper. Her mother has granted us temporary guardianship and we have been trying to get her back to school. She does not wish to go back to school claiming some violence and harassment issues against her in the Wicomico County school she was attending. Her aunt and I are doing everything we can to get this child the education she needs.We have enroll her in home schooling .The child's father will be getting out of Wicomico County detention center for actions with his own substance abuse problems She is tired of his actions as well. He has been in jail a lot of times times and he has many pages on Maryland case search. The child`s comment on his release is "great, another homecoming, one more person to tell me what to do." I am so proud of this girl and her willingness to do right even under these conditions. She is trying above and beyond what I ever expected. The tough guy I sometimes feel I am has cried many times over this. As a recovering alcoholic myself, I have empathy for this child. I am upset over the fact that Wicomico County schools has allowed this child to be out of school for so long. Her aunt contacted the school and was told the child needed counseling but offered no assistance in the matter. It seems the Board has turned a blind eye to the situations of violence and harassment in the district, refusing to correct the problems and not offering help needed to children that have been affected by it. I am seeking help and advice in this matter and am sending this to many people.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

How are the schools supposed to find her if she is in a hotel room? I am sure the mom left a reliable phone number for them to reach her. Walk into a school, tell them you are homeless and they will take her. No questions.

Travis Fisher said...

It sounds like you're going to be a lot better counselor than most in the government system. You're certainly more willing to invest yourself in her well being than anybody else. Stay strong and do what you know is right.

Anonymous said...

Keep homeschooling her. She is way beyond most kids at school as she has been forced to be the adult. Be patient with her. Im sure she is so so pissed at the world and who can blame her.

Anonymous said...

Try contacting Aaron Deal at the BOE

Anonymous said...

Find a nice private Christian school they will work with you on tuition.

Anonymous said...

Child Advocacy Center through State's Attorney's Office

Anonymous said...

Def contact Aaron Deal. Also, keep track of everyone you spoke to and the dates as well.

Anonymous said...

Or Sandy Titus at the Board of Ed.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a tough situation but it's certainly not appropriate to blame the school. Social Services is your best bet.

Anonymous said...

What an awful way to spend childhood, my heart breaks reading this. A lot of the "pick yourself up by your bootstraps crowd" don't realize how bad some of these kids have it.

Anonymous said...

Where were Social Services while this was going on?

Anonymous said...

I think it is great that you have taken her into your home. I would like to ask why didn't a family member do something before now. I would turn my own sister into Social Services if I thought her children were in danger.

Anonymous said...

4:41 not everyone lives the leave it to beaver life. And why would you get social services involved? That is a disaster waiting to happen.

If the kid was on Medicaid, and I am sure she would qualify, they could get the help they need instead of expecting it to be provided free thru the school.

You get the government involved and all they are going to do is shove a pill bottle at it, when all she may need is someone to talk to.

Anonymous said...

Let me get this straight... After all this, your response is to blame the SCHOOL SYSTEM???

While this is certainly a tragic situation, it makes me think about the teacher(s) who will ultimately get this child in their classes and then be blamed when her test scores aren't high enough.

YEESH!


Anonymous said...

I'm not sure , but I think the court system has to grant you guardianship , it's not that easy sir.

Anonymous said...

Social Services are the thorn in the publics side. They suck!!
Remember , they are a government agency , enough said.

Anonymous said...

I know some refuse to go to social services because of all the govt red tape invovled. They prefer using faith-based ministries when help is needed. If you're able to home-school, then do it.

Anonymous said...

I commend you for taking your niece in and trying to give her a better home life. I know that working with government offices can be very difficult, but they do however have programs that can help. Check into "Wrap around Maryland" for assistance.

Anonymous said...

You are doing the right thing and help will come of this I am sure, your plea for help will bring the right people in to make a difference, God bless you both.

Anonymous said...

God Bless you and care for your beloved Niece. You apparently know the struggle in front of you. The only other thing I have to add is, we moved out of Salisbury, out of Wicomico County and out of MD, to free ourselves from that horrific state and county school system.

Good luck to you.

Anonymous said...

Is this a trick question or what? NO No no. Insurance companies should pocket the cash or better yet, donate it to the VICTIMS' families.

Anonymous said...

Send your mail about this to Dr. Phil Show
I'm serious! In mean time perhaps some
church could offer the child council &
at home schooling if you both are working.-

From what I've been told-----I would not
want any of my children in Public Schools.

It's a heavy load your have ---You're
in prayers.

Anonymous said...

Don't give up!!!!! One more thing that needs to be added to your plate.... Please consider taking full custody !!!!!!! at some point these parents may want her back just to get a check..... The Public school system can not deny her an education...... Just Don't Give UP.... This Girl NEEDS YOU!!!!