Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Saying ‘Merry Christmas’ Is Very Important

The nearly universal change from wishing fellow Americans “Merry Christmas” to wishing them “Happy Holidays” is a very significant development in American life.

Proponents of “Happy Holidays” argue that it’s no big deal at all, and that proponents of “Merry Christmas” are making a mountain out of a molehill, especially when proponents say that the substitution of “Happy Holidays” is part of a “war on Christianity.”

But the “Happy Holidays” advocates want it both ways.

They dismiss opponents as hysterical while, at the same time, relentlessly pushing to rid America of “Merry Christmas.”

So, then, which is it? Is the substitution of “Happy Holidays” for “Merry Christmas” important or not?

The answer is obvious.

It is very important. That’s why the anti “Merry Christmas” crowd has worked so hard to make this greeting a thing of the past.

And they have been extraordinarily successful.

I have been wished “Happy Holidays” by every waiter and waitress in every restaurant I have dined; by every one of the young people who welcome me when I go to the gym; by every flight attendant and pilot on every one of my flights; and by every individual I have dealt with on the phone.

When I respond “Thank you. Merry Christmas,” I sometimes sense that I have actually created some tension. While many of those to whom I wish “Merry Christmas” may actually be happy that someone felt free to utter the C-word, all the sensitivity training that they’ve had to undergo creates cognitive dissonance.

More

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say "Merry Christmas" because that's a holiday we celebrate. We're familiar with it, and it's part of our traditions, customs and culture. If other people want to say "Happy Hannukah" to me, I'm delighted to hear it; I'll respond the same to them, and wish them a Happy Hannukah as well.

Today, however, is Festivus.

And today, unless someone says Merry Christmas to me first, I'll be wishing others a Happy Festivus.

Anonymous said...

Good lord this again. Say whatever you, but getting offended by other people saying happy holidays makes you the problem, not me.

Anonymous said...

Getting offended by anyone saying ANYTHING is the ONLY problem. This country has turned into a cluster of cowards getting offended by everything under the sun.

Anonymous said...

I don't always say Happy Holidays, but when I do, I mean Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, and Happy New Year. I'm not dissing Jesus. I use it as a kind of verbal shorthand. It all depends on the intent. If you don't like it, it's your problem. I'm not being politically correct, so don't read too much into it.

With that being said, if I see someone I know to be deeply religious, I'll make a special point to wish them a Merry Christmas. I've no doubt plenty of people use the phrase "Happy Holidays" to be politically correct or worse to be deliberately provocative. So, if you're offended when someone says "Happy Holidays", feel free to ask them what they mean by it.

Anonymous said...

I don't even celebrate it but I say it to anyone that looks or acts like a liberal.

Anonymous said...

You people who say happy holidays and say you don't mean anything by it are the problem cause you bought the story hook line and sinker. That is the point of the article the left trained you to think it's OK and you bought it. Start thinking for yourselves and think of why they press for that greeting, to be politically correct and remove any reference to religion. You have proven the point of the article and don't even know it. Keep being led to our dim as the rest of us wake up to the agenda. OK and Merry Christmas

Anonymous said...

I will say "have a nice holiday" to people I don't know very well because I'm not sure which holiday they observe. That way it includes everyone and doesn't assume you are Christian. (and no I'm not doing this to just include Muslims. There are lots of other religions with different holidays)

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to all. I don't need to explain who, where, what and why. Again; Merry Christmas to all.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas

Anonymous said...

Christmas is a US Federal holiday and worded as "Christmas". Until the language in the Federal register is changed, Merry Christmas...

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas everyone.

Anonymous said...

Let it go all ready. WHO CARES? Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Stop trying to cram any religion down anyone's throats!

I've got an idea, how about everyone get a history lesson on how the PAGAN holidays were hijacked by the Christian religions to make them more palatable so they could convert more people.

Oh wait, you didn't know? That's RIGHT! Christmas was not a Christian holiday. And to be sure, very little of what we do and celebrate has during this time has ANYTHING to do with the Christian mythologies.

So just let it go. Who cares what people say, and stop trying to ratchet your beliefs into everyone else's lives. We don't tell you to stop saying Merry Christmas.. so don't tell anyone else what they can so or do.