Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, December 13, 2015

I'm Not Your Sheepdog

Like many Americans, I frequently carry a gun. I’ve done so for over 30 years without ever laying hand to it in need. Professor John Lott of the Crime Prevention Research Center reports that some 12.8 million people, over 5.2% of the adult U.S. population, are licensed to carry a concealed handgun. In addition to concealed carry license holders in all 50 states, 7 states require no permit at all for concealed carry, and 40 states have few restrictions on carrying as long as the gun is visible. On top of that, as I have reported recently, there appears to be a growing trend among people who routinely carry a firearm to also routinely ignore signs that tell them they can’t. It is a growing form of civil disobedience that puts no one at increased risk of death or injury. As the number of concealed carriers grows, violent crime continues to fall. This doesn’t prove that more guns equals less crime, but it irrefutably proves that more guns do not equate to more crime.

Unless you live in one of the extremely restrictive states like New York, New Jersey, or Massachusetts, any time you are on the street or anywhere that does not have controlled access, with metal detectors and bag searches, etc., there is a fairly high probability that someone nearby is legally carrying a gun. But they are not carrying that gun to protect you.

A popular essay from Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, divided humans into three categories: “Sheep,” “Wolves,” and “Sheepdogs.” I would suggest that Lt. Col. Grossman left out an important fourth category: “Porcupines.”

My wife is neither “sheep” nor “sheepdog,” and she certainly is no “wolf.” She is a “porcupine;” harmless and docile if left alone, but ferocious and dangerous if threatened – even more so if her progeny are threatened. She would choose flight over fight every time, if flight is a viable option. But if flight is not an option, she has the tools, training, and mindset to win the fight.

Our nation’s convoluted laws on self-defense and liability also force all but the most dedicated “sheepdogs” into the role of “porcupine” as well, making “porcupines” the most prevalent variety of armed citizen. We won’t passively stand by while the wolves have their way with us or our families, but neither can we take responsibility for protecting the “sheep” from the “wolves.” Certainly most people who carry would take action to help someone in need if there was an opportunity to do so, and there was no obvious alternative, and while many of us would probably prefer to characterize ourselves as “sheepdogs” rather than “porcupines,” the reality is that protecting you, your spouse, and your children is your responsibility, not ours. You should also be aware that protection of you and your family is not the responsibility of the police either. The courts have conclusively ruled that the police have a duty to protect only the public at large, not individuals.

More

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post. I am an older male Veteran and live in Maryland. I applied for a carry permit in Maryland for the reason of self protection but was refused. I have no criminal record. Why does Maryland law say I don't have a right to protect myself and my family? I know why, it's called stupid liberal Democrats.

Anonymous said...

We need to get Hogan to look at loosen the gun laws. I'm not sure if I'm a sheepdog or porcupine but I am not licensed. That doesn't mean I don't have access at a moments notice to a firearm, as well as the ability and will to use it!

Anonymous said...

Similar situation with me. I have an 870 pistol grip in my vehicle every where I go with family or road trip. A police officer told me lol good ago. Rather be judged by 12 than carried by six. Maybe Governor Hogan can help the law abiding citizens with this issue.

Anonymous said...

the kops are here to protect the government from you/us. Not to protect us from them or other criminals! remember that!

Anonymous said...

I've had a permit in Md. for over 30 years and carry everyday. It's sad Md. will give you a permit to protect cash but not your grandchildren. Has to the gentleman that carries an 870 in his vehicle, that's OK if an attack happens at your vehicle. In the liberal state of Md. I will probably be charged with a felony if I use my weapon to stop a crime against anyone but myself or my immediate family. Pretty sad, I too am a porcupine.

Anonymous said...

My license is my gun.