Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, September 03, 2015

Statistician: Data proves biblical financial collapse

'In September, we can expect something really bad'
Get ready – because the best of times are over and the worst of times may have just begun.

That is the assessment of a Florida mathematician who has studied the biblical Shemitah cycle as it applies to the financial markets.

Thomas Pound is an educator and mathematician who applies his statistical wizardry to the markets.

The Dow fell another 468 points, or 3 percent, Tuesday, providing fresh evidence for investors the sell-off which began in August was no mirage. It is likely to continue in September.

Only eight more trading days remain until the dreaded Elul 29, which is the final day of the Shemitah year, known as “wipe out day” on the Hebrew calendar.

Since Elul 29 falls on a Sunday, Sept. 13, when the markets are closed, the rest of this week and the following week could bring the most devastating losses. Another theory is that the period of Sept. 14-28 right after Elul 29 and leading up to a scheduled blood moon (on Sept. 27-28) could be worth watching.

More

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

another great example of statistics saying whatever we want them to say.

Anonymous said...

Really, this statistician isn't friends with Harold Camping, is he?

Anonymous said...

It doesn't take a prophet to see that times are bad. It hasn't been very good since the recession started in 2008. For me personally, I have seen my job outsourced to India, the manufacturing plant I worked for outsourced all it's production jobs to Mexico, and then China. I make just a few dollars above minimum wage and my wife and I work full time and have little to nothing left over after expenses like taxes, food, mortgage, and utilities. Can no longer afford a new car and haven't had one since 2003.

Anonymous said...

1025 - and yet our government doesn't stop the influx of illegal aliens proven to put downward pressure on wages. I'm sorry for your loss. Good luck to you.

Anonymous said...

Using the equivalent of astrology to "prove" that a future occurrence will happen, doesn't speak well for his credentials as a mathematician.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for everyone's financial lost and difficulties. I was in the same boat as 10:25am. But, now I am unemployed and struggling. I am a surviver. Some how and some way I will be ok. My only thought process at this time is to see and witness the suffering of the 1% millions and billionaire. Let them see what it feels like to be poor and working your butts off to take care of their families. Or unemployed, receiving assistance from the government while taking care of your family. If the market crash. So be it. Let the market fall.

Anonymous said...

Ok, 10:25 I am sorry about your struggles. But not everybody is in bad times. My family is not. One daughter-in-law may make just a few dollars above minimum wage but that is a personal choice and her benefits are very good so she is the benefit carrier for her family. My wife and I have seen our business continue to do well although there may have been a drop about the 2008 period you are talking about.

Now about this new car thing. I don't know if you literally mean a new car or not. We have not bought a literal new car since 1972 always buying a used car instead. At 12 years old your car may need replaced. We once kept a used car with 20,000 miles on it when purchased for 14 years and had about 400,000 miles on it when it went away.

I hope you and your wife figure a way to increase your income. I will point out if you and your wife each make $20,000 per year that is a $40,000 gross and if one of you could increase your wages to $15.00 per hour for full time work that would be a combined gross income of about $50,000 per year. Or a third job might be the answer. That might seem like Donald Trump chump change but many people live a good, if modest, life on that kind of money with good money management.

One more thing I don't know if you have have advanced education or specific trade skills but if you don't then look to learning as your key to a better finanical life. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Excellent point, 10:59.