Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, August 07, 2015

The fur is flying in pet-people clashes in the skies

Colleen Kaczka is done with pets on planes and their "crybaby" owners. And with good reason.

On a recent JetBlue flight from Newark to Orlando, an "emotional support" dog belonging to a first-class passenger defecated midflight. The stench filled the entire cabin and was almost unbearable to Kaczka and her son, who suffers from asthma.

"Airlines are enabling a bunch of selfish people who have no concern for the people around them," says Kaczka, a teacher from South Plainfield, N.J.

Perhaps. Confrontations between pets and passengers are at their worst now, during the dog days of summer. More pets are flying than ever, yet only half the respondents in a recent survey say animals belong in the passenger cabin of a commercial jet.

Therapy dogs soothe stressed-out travelers in San Francisco

More

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess babies shouldn't be allowed on planes either since they smell like sour milk and just filled up a diaper? I'd ask for a refund maybe, and pray that somebody has a dog that poops during all my flights and I wouldn't have to pay for a ticket!

Anonymous said...

The dog should be in an airline safe portable kennel, not loose or sitting on a seat in the plane. Not long ago, some stupid self-entitled woman demanded to take her pet pig onboard the plane, who proceeded to run amok, crapping everywhere and annoying passengers.

Ridiculous people.

Anonymous said...

my dog is more well behaved than most peoples children

Anonymous said...

3:06 I agree 100%!! Glad you feel the same way as I do!

Anonymous said...

3:32PM I totally agree with you. I feel if the owner is willing to pay for a seat ticket for their pet then they should be allowed to do so. It is simple to keep accidents from happening by not feeding before a flight. Feed, water, and walk them prior to flight take off and there shouldn't be any accidents. If there are, a responsible pet owner would clean any mess up themselves.

I've been on flights with screaming children, children kicking the back of my seat and their parents not saying one word of correction to their little darling, and children puking all over the seat and floor-YUK. Being next to or even near these pint size terrors ends up giving me a terrible headache. Animals don't cry for hours on end, they are more comforting then undisciplined, crying, annoying, puking, children.

Anonymous said...

I'll take my dog over your sticky fingered brat any day.