Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, August 08, 2015

A Comment Worthy Of A Post on "Rumors & Lies Part III"

Last week a long-time friend of ours was attacked over the condition of 2 of her horses. I too was disturbed by the pictures. Pictures that I might add were posted and shared by her on social media.

After reading some of the comments on face book and in one of the local papers I became even more concerned about why these horses were in this condition. I was also concerned that something just didn’t add up.

Now I know a picture is worth a thousand words…..but are those words the truth or just my perception of what I thought. Instead of putting in my two cents I took a ride down to our friend’s house and visited her, her family & her horses. After our visit I was even more disappointed at how our horse community treated this family and this issue.

Like many of you, I have known this family for years now. I have worked for them, laughed with them and shared holidays with them. We love this family. They have supported many of the local events in our area & let those who have no horse ride/use one or more of theirs. When the “big red bus” came to town with horses, kids (and entry fees, I might add), we knew the event took a closer step to being a success. It was a joy to see them.

These two horses that we were all concerned about were a part of the family’s herd, a herd I might add that is not nearly as large as was stated by some. They do not own 30 some horses. But, if they did, it’s none of my business. After seeing the herd, (and yes they are located in 2 different locations, but not to hide them as insinuated), I noticed how fat most of their horses are. There are a couple that are thinner, but one is and old man and the other has soundness issues that I feel do not need to be compounded by being overweight. Neither are in any danger of being starved to death.

When the topic of the two horses that were the subject of this family’s ridicule came up I saw things in a much different light. The medical condition of these 2 horses - one had a broken rib that punctured a lung and was put down not by the Humane Society as stated, but by the vet and family when it was taken for a second opinion because the first vet couldn’t tell them why their horse was suffering. The 2nd horse is going through detoxification of a drug that was used during his racing career. Now I’m not a vet, but some of my studies have included the effects of some drugs and the withdrawal these effects have, can be devastating to internal organs and therefore the horse as a whole deteriorates.

Before this gets too long I would like to ask some questions. Why would they post the original pictures on a public forum if they were starving them? Why would they pick those 2 horses to starve out of all the horses they have? Both were very well bred, were not cheap and many miles were traveled to obtain them.

Why hasn’t the humane society stepped in? I see some of you have hinted of a conspiracy because of where the owner works. I have worked with SPCA doing hoof care for confiscated horses and I myself have called them when I’ve seen what I felt was abuse. They have always taken action. Just because they didn’t do what I felt should’ve been done didn’t mean that I went public smearing an organization that’s very purpose is to help animals.

This is getting long even though I would like to say much more. 
Before I go though I will say out of all of the ups & downs this event has taken us on, the most disturbing and disappointing is the way many of us treated this family without knowing the facts.
Dan Lynch

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think it was about the horses at all. I believe those that were attacking this family had other motives. I don't know whether it was jealousy or what but no animal lover takes to the internet and does what they did. They set a horrible example to their own children and others by acting like a bunch of lunatics going for the jugular.
A person who truly cares about the welfare of an animal and suspects something isn't quite right, goes immediately to authorities.