Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, December 12, 2014

Post on Humane treatment of Poultry

This week a YouTube video was released of one farmer's account of what the conditions of the inside of HIS houses were like. I watched the video. The farmer in the video blamed the company he grows for, for the deplorable conditions of his birds.

What was most upsetting, for me, after watching this video is besides all the false information shared, many of the points this farmer made were completely avoidable. Houses are climate controlled and are (or supposed to be) cleaned between each flock. If your birds are panting and have sores on their feet, YOU, as the farmer — AS THEIR CARETAKER — are doing something wrong.

Also, genetic deformities happen, all poultry farmers are instructed how to humanely cull their birds. Our houses are walked through twice a day, the dead are picked up, those that need to be culled are, and the overall health of each house is assessed and documented. Any problems are immediately addressed.

Even when someone is not in the houses, the chickens best interest are being looked out for. Various sensors detect a variety elements of in the houses, the second anything varies from what it should be the sensors tell a computer and the computer calls my husband. If he doesn't answer the call, the computer then calls my Mother-in-Law, then my father-in-law and so on and so forth until it gets a hold of someone to let them know, 'Yo! Things are not all bueno up in hurrr!'

My point, growing for a company or not, the farmer is ultimately responsible for the health of his flock and what was in that video is NOT what should be happening inside a chicken house.

If you have a concern about something, reach out to your local farmers. I promise, they want to talk to YOU, too.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed... the guy who opened his house up to the hippies is a bad chicken house operator.

Anonymous said...

I concur. While I am most certainly not a fan of factory farming, the video is propaganda. The opponents of factory farming pick the worst case scenario and film.
On the flip side, those in the industry do the same thing. When you see their videos the chicken houses are always immaculate with happy chickens running around clucking.
The best advice is in the post-
"If you have a concern about something, reach out to your local farmers. I promise, they want to talk to YOU, too."

Anonymous said...

That's right keep putting your head in the sand - the animals are treated so humanly and don't blame the big business corporations - its the farmer's fault. What a joke! How you ever seen the chickens being trucked to the slaughter houses - those trucks and the chickens are disgusting - but that must be the farmer's fault. Anyone who eats factory farmed chickens, cows, pigs is just asking for trouble. Shoot your own or join a CSA - you talk directly to the farmer because he the one who is selling it to you.

Anonymous said...

8:29 I agree with the shoot your own or use a CSA, farm direct set up. But, ask questions and KNOW YOUR FOOD. It's simple.

"Pasture raised" means nothing when you don't know what's in the pasture. "Free Range" means nothing if they are throwing commercial pellets in the "range".

I visited a farm that touted these things, and found they had a box truck hidden with pallets of a commercial brand meat maker pellet. Yeah, no thanks. The consumer is easy to manipulate, because they don't ask questions. They see key words and take it as gospel.

This is why my homestead grows daily.

Anonymous said...

Once upon a time all food was organic.

Anonymous said...

Your comment 8:29am regarding those helpless chickens being trucked to slaughter houses and your warning against eating factory farmed beef and pork has struck a familiar nerve. I'm hungry! And right after the noon news gets over I'm going to drive down to Super Giant and get me a $5 broiled chicken, eat some of him, then make yum yum chicken soup. I'll also stop at Hockers and buy a couple of pounds of ground (moo moo) chuck for later this weekend. Both of these stores allow me to trade some worthless green paper for an easy to get full tummy. I just love being able to do that. I didn't have to spend my green paper to buy and raise this ez food, nor wait months for it to grow, or have to slaughter chickie or bessie blood soaked little bodies (I don't like making blood happen on living things) I just traded that paper. No did I have to take my gun, go out in the wild, hoping to drag a dead animal home so my tummy could be full. I'm thankful for stores that trade that paper for food and all of the people who continue provide it, because I tend to stay hungry. When living and traveling conditions of my food are considered, stacked up against my hunger, I become apathetic. Just call me crazy?

Anonymous said...

Just call me crazy?

December 12, 2014 at 11:40 AM

no just typical american sheeple