Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, August 03, 2014

Mathematics

I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried.. Why do I tell you this? Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1960s:

1. Teaching Math In 1950s (when I was in school) A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit ?

2. Teaching Math In 1970s A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1980s A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit? Yes or No

4. Teaching Math In 1990s A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20 Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 2000s A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's Okay).

6. Teaching Math In 2014 Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho? ANSWER: His profit was $375,000 because his logging business is just a front for his pot farm.

17 comments:

Brian Dayton said...

As funny as this is, there is a lot of truth in it.

Anonymous said...

I'll take "Thing That Didn't Actually Happen" for $500 Alex.

Every time I do this at a fast food place, everyone seems to handle it just fine. In fact, the only trouble I've had is from older folks!

Anonymous said...

The younger generation of today can't do math in their heads. Almost every time I go to a store the clerk has to look at the register to determine the change they have to give me back. It happens more often than not. When I worked at a grocery store when I was younger you have to physically input each price into the register. It didn't give a change amount. You had to count it out in front of the customer.

Anonymous said...

Dumb as a stump for $300 Alex!

Anonymous said...

lmao

Anonymous said...

If it is not a "nice" number they have no idea what the heck to do.

Anonymous said...

Of course the girl was an Obama supporter, and of his race!

Anonymous said...

11:14 AM

You just had to make it a race thing.

Anonymous said...

I used to work in a retail store. Our manager hired a girl that graduated from Salisbury University. She could not take 10% of$10.00 without using a calculator. Very sad.

Anonymous said...

Once had a cashier use a calculator to figure out 50% of a $1 item. She was dumfounded when I put $.53 up on the counter.

Anonymous said...

I can assure you one thing, this is not just a problem with youth, or a single race. I've seen people of all ages, races, shapes and sizes struggle with simple math in this day and age.

Anonymous said...

It's Burger King. They don't even understand what double meat any whooper meant

Anonymous said...

Try McDonald's their cashiers want to give change of 15 dollars in all ones. Had to refuse that last week and tell her how to make change for a twenty.

Anonymous said...

This isn't a new gripe. I can remember making the same comments 20 years ago. Let's face it, some folks aren't good at math. If they were, they probably wouldn't be working minimum wage jobs making change for you.

Anonymous said...

Another point to consider is that they have to use the register so that the transaction is documented for financial and accounting purposes. However I am not defending the lack of ability to convert fractions, percentages, and basic arithmetic.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, that's was my first really good laugh of the week and it's Friday

Unknown said...

Most stores have the registers that dispense the change for them (Wawa, some McDonalds, etc.). Now those kids will never learn to count change.