Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Michigan teachers who want to quit union trapped by obscure rule

Rob Wiersema teaches high school economics, and he knows the merits of a simple cost-benefit analysis.

Leaving the Michigan Education Association, he surmised, made economic sense. Another professional association he found, offered better benefits at a lower cost.

But his simple economics become complicated. The union didn’t want him to go.

In December 2012, Michigan passed a Right to Work law, which allowed teachers and other workers to keep their jobs without belonging to the union. Until then, union membership was all but a requirement for employment.

“I thought, great, I’m out,” Wiersema said. “As soon as I heard you could leave, I thought, great. My contract is up in 2013. I sent letters to the MEA and the local association to say I quit, but it obviously didn’t work.”

More

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you aware that Wicomico County teachers are required to pay dues to the union if they are a union member or not. Union member dues are higher than non union members.

Anonymous said...

Unions are organized crime made legal.