Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, June 23, 2014

Why my children will not be inheriting my £180m fortune, by Sting

As one of the world’s most successful rock stars, he has risen from an impoverished childhood to amass a huge fortune.

Now Sting has made it clear that his children will also have to earn their own way and should not expect to benefit from his £180 million earnings.

In a frank interview in today’s Mail on Sunday Event magazine, the former Police frontman said he expected his three sons and three daughters to work, and added that there would not be much left to inherit anyway.

Sting, 62, who still has more than 100 people on his payroll, said: ‘I told them there won’t be much money left because we are spending it! We have a lot of commitments. What comes in, we spend, and there isn’t much left.’

He added: ‘I certainly don’t want to leave them trust funds that are albatrosses round their necks.

‘They have to work. All my kids know that and they rarely ask me for anything, which I really respect and appreciate.

‘Obviously, if they were in trouble I would help them, but I’ve never really had to do that. They have the work ethic that makes them want to succeed on their own merit.’

Sting is not the only celebrity who expects their children to stand on their own feet.

Celebrity chef Nigella Lawson said a few years ago: ‘I am determined that my children should have no financial security. It ruins people not having to earn money.’

More

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell that to all the welfare leeches out there. Work hard and be happy

Anonymous said...

George Lucas told Oprah in one of their interviews when she asked about his fortune and his children, "I'm rich, not them. They have to earn their own way."