Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, May 02, 2014

United Methodist Church to grant benefits to employees in same-sex marriages

The United Methodist Church has announced the approval of insurance benefits to some of its employees in same-sex marriages, a decision that could further divide the splintering denomination over the issue of gay rights.

The church’s definition of “spouse” now includes “same sex-spouses” with regards to the General Agencies Welfare Benefits Program for employees. The change was first approved in October by a financial board, but officially recognized by the church’s highest court last week and first reported by the Religion News Service.

“Certain basic human rights and civil liberties are due all persons,” the church’s Judicial Council said in its decision. “We are committed to supporting those rights and liberties for all persons, regardless of sexual orientation.”

More

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I won't be going to that church any longer. Same sex marriage is a sin and that church knows better. I am changing my faith.

Anonymous said...

This comes as no surprise.

Anonymous said...

1:24 So is divorce, but "christians" (no matter denomination) use that all the time.

Anonymous said...


An Atheist said...

1:24 So is divorce, but "christians" (no matter denomination) use that all the time.

May 3, 2014 at 8:00 AM

This article isn't about divorce you homosexual moron. Quit trying to justify your immoral lifestyle.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I won't be going to that church any longer. Same sex marriage is a sin and that church knows better. I am changing my faith.

May 3, 2014 at 1:24 AM

What are you changing your faith to?

I used to let this stuff bother me too, but I have stopped letting it concern me. I have enough of my own problems and issues to worry about something that is in God's domain.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

The bible says to judge only in the church, and that is for correction, not condemnation.

Jesus replied: “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’c 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’d 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Christians are IN the world, but are not OF the world. The world would love you as one of its own if you belonged to it, but you are no longer part of the world. I chose you to come out of the world, so it hates you.

After reading that, it sounds like it could apply to the gays and lesbians. Since they are hated, but I think not.

I don't really understand the gay lifestyle or gay marriages. I am quite sure I will not be in one so I don't let it bother me.

We are in desperate need of more love in the world, we have more than enough of hate.

Thank God has reserved nearly all of the judgments for Himself. Or our puny little heads would explode.

I was not without sin so I have to put my stone down.

Anonymous said...

The church helps sinners homosexuality is a sin. I believe it's medical issue the church is a place for healing.

Anonymous said...

9:07 Don't have a valid response? Attack someone. Typical "born here". When you catch up to the world, let us know.

You prove how selective christians are, as you pick and choose your battles from the fictional words of the bible. Keep up the hate, it looks good on you.