Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Real Reason Your Cable Bill Is So High -- And What You Can Do About It


Who doesn't think their Internet and cable bills are too high? For years now, I've been tracking the stories asking why we in the U.S. seem to be perennial sufferers of a certain chronic syndrome: Bills too high, Internet speed too slow.

There are a quite a few studies that show the United States has the slowest Internet speeds in the developed world - and also the highest bills. The divergence is amazing. Compared to France, the U.K. and South Korea, we have speeds four times as slow and we pay three or four times as much.

Is this comparison fair? One thing to remember -- the U.S. is a very big country with a lot of ground to cover. We live spread out, and I can see how that might drive up costs. (That's not an excuse in big cities, though.)
More

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

negotiate your cable bill? wtf? have you ever dealt with Comcast? The biggest monopoly in the country and getting bigger. The owner don't give way jack sh!t. but he'll have congress and the feds approving his latest acquisition telling them when they want to kill the internet he can do it for them! screw Comcast the biggest turd of a company that ever existed!

Anonymous said...

I called them when my basic cable went up an additional 10 dollars to over 100 dollars per month . I had them ditch the cable for internet only which is still an unreasonable 70 per month. Most of what I watch can be received with an antenna for over the air digital which is clearer than what I get through cable. I have a roku.box and watch what I want through Netflix or amazon. Years ago when I was making much more money, my cable bills were much lower. They have a monopoly and they know they can charge what they want.