Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, February 15, 2014

NSA worker resigns, says he gave Snowden access to classified data

A National Security Agency employee resigned from the agency after admitting to federal investigators that he gave former NSA analyst Edward Snowden a digital key that allowed him to gain access to classified materials, the NSA has told Congress. Snowden has previously said he did not steal any passwords.

The unnamed civilian employee who worked with Snowden resigned last month after the government revoked his security clearance, according to a letter that NSA legislative director Ethan L. Bauman sent this week to the House Judiciary Committee. A military employee and a private contractor also lost their access to NSA data as part of the continuing investigation by the FBI, Bauman said.

Bauman's memo, dated Feb. 10, provides some of the first details about what authorities said they have learned about how Snowden retrieved so many classified documents before passing them to news organizations. Top U.S. national security officials have acknowledged they do not know many files Snowden took before he fled the U.S.
More

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to make a call right now that this guy has been paid a handsome retirement in order to make Snowden an international enemy target.

Mark my words. Why else would this come up?

Anonymous said...

I worked at a bank as a temp. I was put in an office with a full desk, from a previous employee.
I had access to TONS of personal and business information. Social Security numbers, birthdates, account numbers, bank and loan statements.
I was simply there to answer the phone.
I have no doubt, that this was the same mindset at the NSA.
Day in and day out workers take this stuff for granted, security means nothing. Especially as a contractor. You get a key card, you are in. It is that simple. No one was looking over my shoulder, I could have done, a lot.

Anonymous said...

5:25 I think they call it part of the investigation.

Anonymous said...

Yeah. I do not believe this.Why would this person not come forward before now? In the mad scramble after the release of info last year it should have been easy to find any password used to access the info. It certainly would not have taken a full year. I call BullS--t.