Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Asian Ladybugs Becoming Peskier For Homeowners

Have you noticed an inordinate amount of ladybugs around lately?

It’s to be expected, according to Jennifer Frye, an invertebrate ecologist at the Maryland Department of Natural Resources.

“This is something that’s been happening more and more in the last couple of decades,” she says.

But these aren’t American insects. They are actually Asia natives that were first introduced to America in the early 1900s to control aphids, otherwise known as plant lice. The population began thriving here in the 1980s.
More

2 comments:

Beetle Mania said...

I had a bunch of them around the house this weekend, but I like ladybugs, they can hang in my yard if they want to.

Unknown said...

Last week it was flies; crickets do it soon! Charlotte will be doing it soon, too!

I love nature. It brings me home to myself.