Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, November 25, 2013

Are We Raising A Generation Of Helpless Kids?

Warning signs

When a college freshman received a C- on her first test, she literally had a meltdown in class. Sobbing, she texted her mother who called back, demanding to talk to the professorimmediately (he, of course, declined). Another mother accompanied her child on a job interview, then wondered why he didn't get the job.

A major employer reported that during a job interview, a potential employee told him that she would have his job within 18 months. It didn't even cross her mind that he had worked 20 years to achieve his goal.

Sound crazy?

Sadly, the stories are all true, says Tim Elmore, founder and president of a non-profit, Growing Leaders, and author of the "Habitudes®" series of books, teacher guides, DVD kits and survey courses. "Gen Y (and iY) kids born between 1984 and 2002 have grown up in an age of instant gratification. iPhones, iPads, instant messaging and immediate access to data is at their fingertips," he says. "Their grades in school are often negotiated by parents rather than earned and they are praised for accomplishing little. They have hundreds of Facebook and Twitter 'friends,' but often few real connections."

To turn the tide, Growing Leaders is working with 5,000 public schools, universities, civic organizations, sports teams and corporations across the country and internationally to help turn young people -- particularly those 16 to 24 -- into leaders. "We want to give them the tools they lack before they've gone through three marriages and several failed business ventures," he says.

More

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe this applies to some, but this is a bit ridiculous. I was born in 1986 and I've worked my butt off for what I have. My parents never would have negotiated with a teacher. I don't have any friends who's parents would have either. Blaming kids for the actions of their parents is ridiculous. The moral of this story is that parents went through a change over the years. Stop blaming people born in the 80's and 90's for the bad parenting decisions of those born in the 60's and 70's. Somewhere along the line they decided they wanted to be friends with their kids instead of being parents. My parents told me no and made me work for what I received and that is what I'm teaching my kids.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the broad brush stroke..but for many of your generation it rings true...some do manage to survice with good real life skills..as you appear to have...but most expect something for nothing.....lack basic skills and hard work is not part of the equation for them.

Anonymous said...

9:29 you are an exception. Unfortunately there are parents that continually tell their kids they are special. The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary and they would have their parents look it up for them.

Anonymous said...

9:29 AM

Of course. It's always someone else' fault isn't it? You are an exact example of what this article speaks. How would anyone that was born in the 80's and 90's know what any parent did which was born in the 60 and 70's?

Did somebody tell you that? Did you read it somewhere? You yourself claim your own parents wouldn't do the things the article states and you know of no other parent that would.

I don't know any either. Where do all these "friend" parents come from and where are they? Sounds like a cop out to me. But for who? Teachers? Employers?

I don't doubt that there are parents like those described, I question a whole generation fitting that profile.

I know kids don't like to hear how easy they have it compared to their parents, but it is true in some aspects.

But I didn't have to worry to much about getting shot simply by walking to school either.

So while a kid nowadays never got up off the couch to turn a tv on or change the channel, or always had indoor plumbing and toilet paper, we never had to worry about computer code or which colors to wear to school.

Things change, attitudes change. I think it has more to do with broken families, one parent homes, and lack of a moral compass than your parent(s) being a friend or not.

Anonymous said...

My husbands parents have done his to all their kids. They all rely on their dad for EVERYTHING. If there is a Decision to be made it is always discussed with my father in law. Heck one if their sons didn't move out (or get a job) til he got married at 27!! My husband was born in 87

Then their is the flip side, I've had a job since is as 12. I have supported myself completely since I was 16. I make my own decisions (now my hubby and I make them together of course) and I intend to instill the same work ethic and independence into my own children. I was born in 90.

My daughter is 2 and she already cleans up after herself, loads the dish washer and feeds/potty the dog. My in laws think I am too strict with her. I wish they could see that they have and still are causing a Disservice to their children.

Anonymous said...

Helpless (parents fault) and Hopeless (liberals fault).

Anonymous said...

All part of the communist plan to take this country down from the inside. A society of dependant, stupid, ignorant and helpless idiots has been built by by the democrat commies in the government. They are a lot easier to control.

Anonymous said...

No just futre welfare recipents