Halloween can be a fun time of year. As all of the young trick-or-treaters dressed as witches and warlocks and party-going ghosts and goblins celebrate in the coming days, the Ocean City Police Department reminds everyone to remember to be safe this Halloween.Trick-or-treaters are reminded of the following safety tips for a safe Halloween:
· Never trick-or-treat alone. Always stay with a parent/guardian or friend.
· Fasten reflective tape to costumes and bags and always carry a flashlight. This will help drivers see you.
· Never eat any treats before a parent/guardian checks them. Never eat any homemade treats made by strangers.
· Enter homes only if you’re with a trusted adult. Only visit well-lit homes. Do not visit dark houses. Also, never accept any rides from strangers while trick-or-treating.
· Always remember to stay on the sidewalk and only cross the street at the crosswalk. Walk Smart!For those older ghosts and goblins that will be celebrating Halloween, remember to keep the party off the road. Remember these safety tips while celebrating:
· Plan a safe way home before the festivities begin.
· Before drinking, designate a sober driver.
· If you’re impaired, take a taxi, call a sober friend or family member, or us public transportation.
· If you happen to see a drunk driver on the road, do not hesitate to contact law enforcement.
· And remember, Friends Don’t Let Friends Drive Drunk. If you know someone who is about to drive while impaired, take their keys and help them make other arrangements to get to where they are going safely.By following these simple safety tips, everyone celebrating Halloween in Ocean City will be sure to have a spooky good time!