Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, October 06, 2013

IMPORTANT INFO RE DELMARVA

On Monday I opened our monthly power bill and inside was a flyer (see the attachment) describing a new program that Delmarva will be implementing -- unless individual homeowners call the listed 800 telephone number on the flyer within 10 days - and request to "opt out" of the program.

If the homeowner does nothing, Delmarva automatically enrolls them in the program --- a program that gives Delmarva the right/ability to turn off the homeowner's AC or heat during "peak usage" periods. In addition, Delmarva will install a box - without an appointment - next to the AC or heat pump units allowing them to turn off the units remotely whenever they choose to do so.

I am very conscientious about reading all of the materials that accompany our bills, but I'm fairly certain that I'm the exception -- most people pull out the bill and throw away the rest of what they consider to be junk. In light of this, I am requesting that you send a memo to all of our members explaining this new program and its impact so that they can make a choice -- and "opt out," if they wish to do so.

Open for Delmarva Flyer

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this just for Delaware??

Tidewaterbound said...

I did not receive one nor was I previously signed up. I think that's for all who were already in the program.

Anonymous said...

I've got one of these on my wood stove...

Anonymous said...

I received this notice in Salisbury.

Anonymous said...

Web programmable thermostat sounds like a back door to your personal computer network.

Jim said...

I agree with Tidewater, I think it was people already in the program they are dropping.

Roy said...

I got a new unit last year and we have sworn that the unit itself does exactly this-- maybe it is programmed from the thermostat-- But thanks Joe for the heads up-- will be calling the number

Anonymous said...

So this only works if you have a heat pump? I don't have one.

Anonymous said...

I called and the lady seemed a bit miffed that I told her that while I did not get a notice in today's bill, they were NOT to put one of those on my house/unit, and that the people I know that did get one ended up with heat pumps burning out. They made their unit cycle constantly, and burned it out--even new ones or ones that had just been serviced, That is all you need--to have somebody else control how much and when you can use your power.

Anonymous said...

i went on their web site for MD and it it doesn't say anything about opting out. If you want it you have to make an appointment to have it installed. Seems totally optional and writer seems misinformed.