Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Conservatives Should Be More Racially Sensitive

Like it or not, the George Zimmerman-Trayvon Martin story has triggered a national conversation about race. President Obama waded into the controversy with much-hyped remarks on the incident July 19, which provoked a harsh reaction from some conservatives. I’m inclined to agree with the Daily Beast’s Kirsten Powers that this reaction is indicative of why Republican outreach efforts to minority groups are unlikely to succeed.

The problem, I think, is not widespread racism, but enough examples of racial insensitivity to create the impression that conservatives don’t care about the African American community.

If somebody is going to criticize anything about Obama’s speech, I could see how one might argue it was fluff that tried to assuage both sides without saying much. But personally, as I said at the time, I thought he struck the right tone. And I don’t get the accusation that Obama was engaging in race-baiting.

More

3 comments:

Gerald, retired Detroit cop said...

It seems funny or strange to me, that Obama picked Martin to identify with as, “that could have been me”, statement, when why didn’t he identify with Zimmerman, after all, Mr. Zimmerman is closer to what Obama is than Martin. Martin had two black parents, where as Mr. Zimmerman had a white mother and a Hispanic father, just like Obama who had a white mother and a black father. He should have said “This ordeal that Mr. Zimmerman has gone thru, could have been me”!

Anonymous said...

I still don't understand! I will not lay their and let another person beat the crap out of me and let him slam my head into a side walk. Call it what you want. I will do my best to stop the Paine. Even killing that person.
You stupid fools!

Anonymous said...

Reread your post 11:36, I would use caution in calling others stupid.