|Jasmine Denise Shuman|
Officers and paramedics arrived at the scene and determined a 6-year-old female and her mother were crossing Baltimore Avenue from east to west in the crosswalk at 19th Street. The child was struck by a vehicle traveling southbound on Baltimore Avenue. The child was treated at the scene by OC EMS and later flown by Maryland State Police helicopter to the University Of Maryland Medical Center Shock Trauma for further treatment.
The vehicle, which initially stopped after the collision, left the scene but was later located and stopped by an OCPD foot officer as it was about to head west over the Route 50 Bridge at North Division Street. The driver of the suspect vehicle was identified as: Jasmine Denise Shuman, 18, of Salisbury. The investigation determined that Shuman was the operator of the vehicle that struck the 6-year-old pedestrian and left the scene.
Shuman was arrested and has been charged with:
- Failure to Immediately Stop at Scene of Accident involving bodily injury (20-102a1)
- Failure to Immediately Return and Remain at the Scene of an Accident Involving Bodily Injury (20-102a2)
- Failure of Drive Involved in Accident to Render Reasonable Assistance to Injured Person (20-104a)
- Failure of Driver Involved in Bodily Injury Accident to Furnish Required ID and License (20-104b)
- Failure of Vehicle Driver in Bodily Injury Accident to Exhibit License to a Police Officer (20-104c)
- Failure Vehicle Driver in Accident to Report Bodily Injury to Nearest Police (20-104d)
Shuman was seen by an Ocean City District Court Commissioner and was released on $5000 unsecured bond.
At the time of this release the 6-year-old child is being treated for injuries related to the crash and is in stable condition.