Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, June 01, 2013

Is HELL A Curse Word?

I was sitting back watching TV with my Grandson yesterday when a commercial came on. I missed the main portion of the commercial and I asked, what show was that? My Grandson said, I can't say it. I said, what? He said, I can spell it. OK, what was it. He said, H-E-L-L's Kitchen.

I said, you can say HELL. Oh no grandpa, that's a curse word, we can't say that in school. I said, your kidding me, right? I said, so when you say, some people go to Heaven and some people go to Hell, your not allowed to say that. Oh no, the Teacher says, some people go up there, (pointing towards the sky) and some people go down there, (pointing towards the ground). 

Now look, we've raised our Grandson pretty darned well. He knows what he can and can't say and I can honestly tell you with one hand on the Bible, he has NEVER cursed in my presence in his entire lifetime. 

I guess the word HELL is a gateway to other curse words and out of control children, eh????? I was always raised, never use God's name in vein. Not that it's right but there's a time and a place to use a curse word. Look, I'm from New York and you better believe if I hit a finger with a hammer I'm NOT going to say Golly Gee, that really stings. 

Nevertheless, I'd enjoy hearing your opinion on this matter. At this point, (to me personally) the liberal teaching of our children in this manor has gone too far. Up here and down there, I don't think so. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty lame teaching, huh?

Jay Waggoner said...

As a teacher I can tell you it is a matter of context. There is nothing wrong with your heaven and hell analogy. However, what the hell is wrong with you would be considered offensive. Do you not agree?

Anonymous said...

I have found some are offended by the word God, yet the same people are ok with the word when it is followed with the word damn.

JoeAlbero said...

anonymous 10:07, I agree. As I stated, we raised our Grandson to know better. I used that exact example and he was the one who came back saying up here or down there, quoted to him from a Teacher.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone. I just seems odd that a Teacher wouldn't understand the difference. When a kid is afraid to say Hell's Kitchen, a show on TV, something is wrong.

Anonymous said...

Heaven and Hell are real places and it is a shame the teacher doesn't seem to know that.

I agree with you Joe, when children are taught proper manners by the parents/grandparents/guardians they tend to grow up with manners and respect for themselves and others.

I have to wonder how the teacher would give driving instructions to any location? Go up the road, go down the road, etc. This seems like a real stretch. If schools would spend more time actually teaching a subject and less time trying to be so politically correct, all children in every grade might actually learn something.

Anonymous said...

10:07, agree.

Anonymous said...

My 9y/o will say Heaven and Hell in the correct context most times though sometimes she'll say "Down there" or she'll tell me someone used the H word. She knows the word can be used in 2 ways and she understands when its use is appropriate and when it is not.