Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Bats In The Backyard: Good Or Bad?

Q. I've heard that bats are good to have around because they eat bugs. But don't they also carry rabies? —M.O., White Plains, N.Y.

You're right on both counts. Bats are important to our ecosystem because they feast on pests that would otherwise ruin crops. Plus they eat mosquitoes. On the other hand, while most bats don't have rabies, one could give you that deadly virus if it's infected. So don't handle bats, even if they look healthy. (Rabid bats often display odd behavior, such as flying during the day or landing on the ground.) If a bat scratches or bites you, get medical help right away. You may need an anti-rabies shot. And avoid inhaling dust that's contaminated with bat droppings; it can contain harmful fungi.

More

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My family tells me I have bats in my belfry.Maybe that's why none are in my yard.

Anonymous said...

Bats are amazing creatures. You have more of a chance getting rabies from a racoon than a bat.