Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, April 01, 2013

Walmart's Death Grip on Groceries Is Making Life Worse for Millions of People (Hard Times USA)

Walmart's growing control of our food system has been to intensify the rural and urban poverty that drives unhealthy food choices.

When Michelle Obama visited a Walmart in Springfield, Missouri, a few weeks ago to praise the company's efforts to sell healthier food, she did not say why she chose a store in Springfield of all cities. But, in ways that Obama surely did not intend, it was a fitting choice. This Midwestern city provides a chilling look at where Walmart wants to take our food system.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is misleading. Just compare prices. I don't feel compelled to subsidize competitors.

Jim said...

There are some facts in this story, but most of them seem to be Wal-Mart is too big. But the slant seems to accuse them of making BAD food cheaper than GOOD foods. Huh? Let me know if I'm misunderstanding this.

Anonymous said...

There are a few food items I will no longer buy in Walmart.
One of them is block cheese, two times I purchased cheese in Walmart is was SPOILED! It looked just fine in the package and the date was good, but that cheese was rancid! It was also not off brand, it was Kraft. No more cheese from Walmart!
The other is ground beef....all I can say is ewwwwww!!!

Anonymous said...

Wal Mart does not have meat cutters any more & hasn't for a while. All meat comes in pre-packaged filled with gasses to keep them looking pretty. It affects the taste of the meat & I won't buy any meat there at all. If I can avoid it, I don't/won't shop there at all.