Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, December 14, 2012

Don’t Eat Daddy’s Cookies: How To Talk To Your Kids About Pot

Washington state’s legalization of marijuana last week was a professional triumph for Alison Holcomb, a Seattle attorney who wrote the law. But the legal victory created a personal dilemma: how to discuss the no-longer illicit drug with her 4-year-old son. “He’s a sponge right now, and I don’t know if he’s yet at the age when I can have a meaningful conversation with him about it,” says Holcomb, the drug policy director for the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Washington. “He has never seen me smoke anything. I probably won’t do it in front of him.”

With marijuana now legal for adults over 21 in Washington and soon in Colorado (a decriminalization law is expected to take effect by Jan. 5), Holcomb is one of many parents trying to figure out what to say to – and do around – their kids as a result. Most moms and dads think nothing of sipping a glass of wine at the family dinner table. Now that lighting up a joint in the Evergreen State should no more raise alarm than an after-work gin and tonic, will parents take the same no-big-deal attitude toward both? As moms and dads figure out how to negotiate marijuana’s transition from illegal drug to just another ho-hum way to unwind, TIME sought advice from experts on how to incorporate pot into parenting (the full magazine story is available to subscribers here).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how is teacing our kids responsiblity on this any different then say pharma drugs. Big pharma does not want pot legal ! how else could they continue to poison us create zombies and cure nothing ! You see, pot is a natural plant thats provides the relief from these same symptons. The current legal methods and drugs used are the real dangers Look around do you thinks pot heads are experincing violent and suicidal side effects

Anonymous said...

My kids know I occasionally smoke pot after they are in bed and safely in my own room (ventilated) or outside. They know that I am responsible with it and do not go overboard. They also know I drink in social settings quite moderately. I have a college degree, run a successful business, and responsibly raise my family. As long as my pot usage does not effect the other aspects of my life, what harm does it do? I would rather my kids have an example of someone responsibly partaking than have them exposed to it and not know how to handle it.