Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, October 01, 2012

Today The Daily Times Starts Charging For On Line Access

Well, you can't say Salisbury News hasn't created a huge impact to the Eastern Shore. Today the Daily Times has announced they will start charging for on line access to their Newspaper. What they didn't say was that they have also increased their subscription rate by 15% as well. 

What's even more interesting is that Delmarva Crossroads shut their doors down last week. While they provided a newspaper last week, their doors have been closed due to employee complications. We're not sure at this time if they'll rebuild and come back but clearly hiring those who had been fired from the Daily Times won't cut it. Greg Bassett published the following today.

Subscription options will range from digital-only to full access with seven-day delivery of the print edition. Non-subscribers will have access to a limited number of free articles before they are required to subscribe, though some products will remain open.

We know a good number of our longtime and loyal readers don’t have much Internet interest — we will keep our commitment to producing the best print product.

Salisbury News has absolutely NO INTEREST in charging a fee to read our news and information. The whole idea was to create a news source in which every one can access for FREE. One of the main reason we can and will remain FREE is because most of the information we publish each day comes from viewers like yourself sending us links to the most interesting articles around the world. 

We are truly a community news outlet. Viewers send us information and photos LIVE and or in real time, hence the instant images of the Ocean City fire last week, even before the Fire Department had arrived. 

Times have most certainly changed and there's no question in my mind that this is the final stand for the Daily Times. Greg Bassett mentioned in his article that they have more reporters than any other news outlet on the Shore. So what. Their Reporters don't have HISTORY in Salisbury and they rely on Press Releases to publish whatever the Mayor and others want published. That's not reporting. Considering I am the only Reporter/Blogger covering local news events, I'd say we've done a hell of a job competing with the largest volume of reporters on the Shore, wouldn't you agree? Then, consider this. We're FREE. 

Oh well, it's a new day on DelMarVa and time will tell if bringing in the big shot from Upstate New York was worth their time. At least some know when to fold.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crossroads was a joke anyway. I give the Times 6 more months and they will close their doors too.

Anonymous said...

I'm not paying to go to their site. Thanks for providing an alternative.

Anonymous said...

I read this article this morning on Facebook and I had to read it twice to really believe what I was reading? I think this will be the total fall of The Daily Times. There is NO one that will pay for an online newspaper. Their isnt enough news on the shore to justify a paid subscription to a newspaper that is very thin. It is truly a shame that they would result to charging for online access. I will stick with the news blogs I read on a daily basis and social media.

Anonymous said...

Also the Sunday newspaper will be $ 2.12 starting next week.

Anonymous said...

I knew that new newspaper wouldn't survive. I doubt the DT's will survive this change either.

Anonymous said...

How can they even think people would want to pay more for less.

Anonymous said...

Poor decision on the part of management or whomever came up with this decision.
Like 11:07 stated people do not want to pay more for less.
Focus needed to be on improving the image of the DT's from a liberal propaganda rag into a real NEWSpaper first and foremost. Then after they have improved their reputation ONLY then can they think to charge more money.


Anonymous said...

After I heard about the increase in the Daily Time subscription I called to cancel my delivery after many years. I was told that will let me have three additional months at the old price and for me to call back the first of the year as to what I wanted to do.. I also will not pay for reading it on the internet...

Anonymous said...

Would never pay for online.. all you have to do to keep reading online newspapers is delete your cookies in the browser.. and then that gets you the free pages again. This is true for Baltimoresun.com as well...

Anonymous said...

Good news all these liberal newspapers will soon die another outlet for liberal propaganda will be gone this will help society.

Anonymous said...

The only reason I go to the online site for is local Sports News. Joe, have you ever considered covering local sports?

Anonymous said...

Well, since the Daily times seems to have the same news for a week or more...and it seems to miss a lot of news in the area, I only read the obituary's. So...Joe, maybe you should provide obits as well and we have no need for the Daily Times! What a poor excuse for a local newspaper. I can't imagine anyone paying for NOTHING!

Anonymous said...

@ 11:02...I was charged that yesterday.

Anonymous said...

I don't know why anyone would want to invest in a print media forum, it's just antiquated. There didn't seem to be much interest in advertizing for Crossroads. I'll never pay for DT online or in print.

After the spoof phone call, hiring Sarah Lake was a huge mistake. Depending on kids to launch that endeavor was even a bigger mistake.

Having more money than brains will never make anything work in this economic environment. When you start something, you better start it off right or it will not be long lived.

Anonymous said...

Note to Sarah Lake-Get rid of the Facebook page-ASAP. Her FB is nothing but childishness.
No one and I repeat no one is going to hire such a child. Journalists are professionals. Take a cue from the FoxNews ladies such as Perino, Guilfoyle and Kelley and grow up.

Anonymous said...

Lake talks about having a hangover on her FB. That is not something a serious person intent on being a professional does. She is an immature child who no successful publication is ever going to hire because they will look at her FB.

Anonymous said...

When does the charge start?

Anonymous said...

DT started weening down a few weeks ago, if you notice they never have "todays" grapevine online lately, just out-of-date grapevine comments. I won't pay for that silly crap. Their editorials have all rode their course also, it's like re-reading a book that you know from cover to cover.

Anonymous said...

not to change the subject- but do you, Joe, have an opinion about what's going on over at Delmarva Public Radio? It's been in the paper a few times, and I know you have been on the Don Rush Show a few times....just wondering.

Anonymous said...

Delmarva Crossroads didn't last long at all. I gave it 6 months but it ended up going bust in 6 weeks looks like.

Scott said...

There is little to nothing reported in their paper now. Why should I pay 10 dollars per month for a paper that isn't even worth ten cents a copy? Why should I pay for the liberal bias?

Anonymous said...

Nothing on the Times website that isn't accessible on WBOC's site, and that ain't saying much! There's today's stories and 199 from last week! CRAP!

Anonymous said...

I go there maybe once a month. So what, goodbye is fine.

Anonymous said...

So, you've "anonymously" bullied someone into deleting their Facebook account. Stay classy.

Anonymous said...

I do not wish to pay for online access or home delivery. The husband, however, is another story. He says he's getting it for me, but he knows how I feel. So, I guess I won't know who dies, since that's all I read, anyhow.
I do NOT plan to use either.

Anonymous said...

3am, If you are referring to Sarah Lake then good for her for deleting her FB. Adults intent on furthering their careers do not blather away on FB.
It is not bullying. It is common sense which you obviously need a dose of. So I suggest you grow up and quite tossing the word du jour (bully) around because not in anyone's stretch of the imagination was anyone bullied.

Anonymous said...

8:30. You are the problem.