Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Price Of Inflation

I live in Manhattan and try and find creative ways to buy groceries. If I go to the market near my apt and buy a dozen eggs, OJ, apples, bananas, chicken salad, carrots, and a 6 piece sushi set it is generally around $40. That is pretty expensive considering it is really only a weeks worth of breakfast and some snack food for one person.

To save money, I purchase bananas from a street vendor near my office. Last year when I first started at {a major financial company]. , the bananas were 5 for $1. Around late fall they became 4 for $1. This morning I come to work and grabbed 4 and the vendor slaps one banana out of my hand and points to the sign… 3 for $1.

PS – this inflation is in addition to a post I made on an article a few weeks ago where my landlord is demanding an increase in rent from $1550 to $1750, a 12.9% yoy increase.

But of course, inflation is only 2%.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, my weekly grocery bill for my husband and I runs around $40. Price of groceries is high in NY!

Anonymous said...

10:33 AM

You must eat a lot of Ramen noodles.

Anonymous said...

12:43- We haven't ate Ramen noodles in a long time. I watch for sales and we don't eat meat every night. Cream of wheat or oatmeal is tons less expensive than cereal for breakfast. My husband is a hunter so we eat deer burger and steaks. Shopping at Save a Lot saves me a lot of money too. At their dollar sale this week I really did well! I could go on but just to say it can be done! And I don't use many coupons either just in case someone thinks I am one of those "extreme couponers". LOL