Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, November 12, 2011

When Kids Drink, Parents Are Legally Responsible

WASHINGTON -- Teenagers aren't the only ones at risk when they get into cars after drinking. Their parents are liable for what happens when the party is over.

That message is being hammered home by Montgomery County State's Attorney John McCarthy, who told reporters that when parents break up a party where teens have been drinking, they should take away the keys and get the kids home some other way.

"Think twice before allowing those young people to go back into their cars heavily intoxicated," he said.

More

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I furnished the alcohol to the party, then I understand why I as a parent are held liable, but when I come home to find my teenage son has threw a party while I'm out, the first thing I'm going to do is break it up and scold my son for being irresponsible. Now, just as if the police were to show up, the kids are going to scatter. When I was a teen, if the police showed, they didn't offer to give anyone rides home, they just started issuing citations. Why am I to be held liable if something happens after they leave my home? Are the police just as responsible if something happens when they told them to leave my home? I understand that if my son does something and I knowingly know that he did it, I am responsible, but I know I can't control everything he does while he's not under my watch. I have to trust in my heart that I raised him to one day be a responsible adult, and hope that he uses his head when I'm not around.

Anonymous said...

What about Little League Vice Presidents? Norman Francis who is Vice President at East Wicomico Little League in Salisbury is known to throw parties at his house all the time with young little league boys. Several board of director members filed a complaint and the board ignored the complaint.