Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Eastern Shore Jobs Outlook Hopeless

Yesterday I took my Grandson out to Eric Ludwig's Barber Shop and got a glimpse of what seems to be left of the Daily Times Newspaper. A friend recently asked me, (if I'd be so kind) if I'd tell someone that works there, Thank You. When I asked why they said, because I don't even have to purchase the USA Today any more, since they publish the key stuff from that paper every day now.

Nevertheless, as I scanned through to paper I couldn't help but notice only two pages of classified ads, mostly legal notices. I started flipping through the rest of the paper, sure I had missed something. I hadn't. There were maybe 5 Help Wanted Ads. HELLO!

Look, I know many of you do not get the Daily Times any more, so I feel responsible to show you things like the image above to keep you informed. I'm not knocking the Daily Times. If the jobs just aren't out there, well, they just aren't there. So we need to look at statements like what Craig Jahelka from WBOC is saying on their commercial. I know far too many people out of work and far too many businesses struggling to stay afloat, mainly by laying off staff to stay alive.

That being said, when you see 5 help wanted ads throughout the entire Eastern Shore, this is NOT good at all. Good Lord, can you just imagine the volume of calls these companies are getting from the massive amount of unemployed.

I thought, (for a brief second) that maybe people/companies have stopped using the Daily Times as a source to get new employees. I don't believe that's the case. Then again, the classified section is the smallest I have ever seen. I also realized that Sunday is usually the biggest day to advertise such ads but I have also seen the downsize of what they produce on Sunday's and that's not very impressive either.

All in all, I think the Internet is proving to play a stronger role as to what and where the future will bring us. More and more people are getting away from print advertising and we simply need to accept this. The writing is on the wall, (so to speak).

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

wednesday and sunday papers are the time to look for the classified. most businesses (if theyre smart) dont buy a full week because everyone knows only those two days people will be looking.

Anonymous said...

We run classifieds for our business in the DT but they cut them back to Wednesday thru Sunday for the same amount of money each month.
Used car ads.

Anonymous said...

I noticed that there are fewer job openings on Career Builders for this area also. It used to have 10 to 15 pages of local positions posted in the last 30 days but the last time I looked, it only had 3 pages of openings for the last 30 days and only 1 page for the last 7 days.

Anonymous said...

There are no jobs out their! Obama took care of that.

Daddio said...

Why would ANYONE pay for a classified ad in a dying newspaper when you can place one on Craig's list for free?

Have you checked the DailySlime ad rates lately??

Anonymous said...

The demise of that rag can't come soon enough. The area would be better off without it.

Anonymous said...

4:32 Why?

Anonymous said...

I do not see how The Daily Times can sustain their present operations much longer.

I look for them to fall by the wayside any day now.

Anonymous said...

Wait... so let me see if I have this right. People who are unemployed, can afford to spend money on the internet to look for jobs? Wow, what a wonderful country we live in where the unemployed can afford luxuries like the internet.

Anonymous said...

5:26 you get it at a place called the public library and it's free to anyone with an ID to get the library card.

Anonymous said...

The One Stop Job Market on Mount Herman Rd. also has plenty of computers to use if you are registered for looking for a job.

There are jobs out there if one wants it bad enough. There is CareerBuilder, SimplyHired and many other options, the key is to really want a job.