Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, February 12, 2020

The Drag Queen Story Hour and Books: Additional Booklist Suggestions

By now you’ve probably hear of Drag Queen Story Hour (sometimes also called Drag Queen Storytimes). The concept is pretty simple. Basically you take a drag queen, preferably one who likes kids and is a good reader, and have them conduct a storytime. According to the official Drag Queen Story Hour website, the concept was created by Created by Michelle Tea and RADAR Productions in San Francisco, but you don’t need to be affiliated to conduct one in your own library. They’ve now become popular enough that they’ve been making the news lately with protests against them in places like Lafayette, LA, Mobile, AL, and other places.

So let’s say you have a library that would like to have a Drag Queen Story Hour of your own. After finding a good reader, you just need them to have some books to read. So where can you find a good Drag Queen Story Hour booklist? Turns out, this information is on the DQSH website:
“We generally use a mix of surefire readalouds and books that explore gender diversity and difference. Our friends at the Brooklyn Public Library helped us create these book lists for pre-schoolers and school-age kids. Make sure your drag queen readers have the books in advance so they have time to practice reading out loud.”
Good for them! I’m particularly pleased that the lists distinguish between preschoolers and older children. Squirmy three-year-olds have short attention spans, after all. Whatever librarians were charged with making this list, they must have had a blast putting it together.

More

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Add hidden dangers of rainbow dark majesty. Corrupting Young's minds with these luciferians lies should be criminal

Anonymous said...

Oh gee, that blows all the liberal responses that there was no hidden agenda. Wonder what they've got to say now...

Anonymous said...

That whole drag queen thing is DISGUSTING.

Anonymous said...

There is a hidden agenda. Get your head out of the sand!!

Anonymous said...

One of the librarians at the Pittsville Library is pushing that drag queen $hit on its Facebook page. Does anyone have a copy or can they screen capture it?

Anonymous said...

Thank you @9:29 I'm going to make a trip down there

Anonymous said...

9:29
Anyone can screen capture. Everyone might be able to see something posted her her Facebook page. Do a screen shot and send it to Joe.

Anonymous said...

Do you happen to have the name of the person promoting this?

Anonymous said...

Why is Bob Culver not stepping in on this? This librarian is an employee of wicomico county correct? So is this a county agenda or is it an employee using the county to promote her personal sexual agenda?

Anonymous said...

I went on the pittsville branch Facebook page and didn't see anything. This must be on her personal Facebook page. I would like the young ladies name so I Know who to ask for

Anonymous said...

I am commenting here because I can't find another place to do that. I did not attend Rock N' Roll Revival so perhaps I should keep my two cents out of it. On the surface, however, here's what it looks like. PFLAG and the left are upset about a show with a guy dressed as a woman probably in a role he is playing? Yet, they have a nerve to promote drag queens in the public library? Is anyone else confused by this besides myself? As I said, I did not attend the rock and roll show, and while that role may not have been my taste,I seriously doubt I would have been offended. I got angry by their interference in the show really. I get so disgusted by the double standards.

Anonymous said...

Also, I agree with you, 1:20 pm.

Anonymous said...

I am that person, what's up have something to say to me?

Anonymous said...

What do you have to say to that person? Why not just say it on here? Mr. Anonymous?