Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, November 16, 2019

Wagner recalls WWII during OP Veterans Day

Along with abundant sunshine and mild temperatures, the Veterans Day tribute in Ocean Pines on Monday was highlighted by the memories of WWII Navy veteran Carroll Wagner.

“My charge today is to talk about my experience while serving during WWII,” he said.

Native to Baltimore, Wagner was born in 1927 and was winding up high school before answering the call to service from Uncle Sam upon reaching the age of 18.

“I began my senior year and while in high school joined the Navy,” he said. “It appeared the world was subsiding and I would finish high school when it ended.”

In early 1945, with WWII lurching towards the end of hostilities, Wagner was brought to attention after receiving a letter from President Franklin Delano Roosevelt ordering him to report for military service on Feb. 7.

“Which happened to be my 18th birthday and here I am a senior in high school,” he said.

While Wagner was completing boot camp at the U.S. Naval training center in Bainbridge, Maryland, President Roosevelt died and was succeeded by his vice-president, Harry Truman. By that point, Nazi leaders in Germany were surrendering.

“They knew I was coming,” he said.

More

No comments: