Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, September 10, 2019

A Familiar Boardwalk Tram Station Face For 31 Years

OCEAN CITY – When Betty Kurka retired from Moore Business Forms in the 1980’s, she quickly realized retirement was not for her.

“I had to do something,” she said.

And so, at the suggestion of a friend, she quickly found employment at the south tram ticket booth on the Boardwalk.

“So here I am,” she said, “still here.”

For the last 31 years, Kurka has been a familiar face at the ticket booth. And although she is now 94 years old, she said she has no plans of slowing down.

“My son jokes that one day I’ll have to come by ambulance,” she said. “Every year, if they want you back, they send you a letter. So if I get that letter I’ll probably respond. If I don’t get it, it’s back to the recliner.”

More

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always wondered where Betty went. I went to school in Pocomoke with her children, Glenn, Brad and Sandy. OMG, that was over 50 years ago!

Anonymous said...

Good for her!