Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, July 13, 2019

USWNT isn’t the feel-good story we’re told they are

Perhaps I’m a party-pooper by nature and nurture. When I was a kid I heard the music from the ice cream truck then excitedly asked my father for a quarter.

“No,” he said, “they play that music when they’re out of ice cream.”

Unless you never heard that one, it’s an old one. Otherwise, it’s mine. But the risk of being condemned as a killjoy makes me defensive. “Our” team won, didn’t it? That’s what counts! USA! USA!

It’s a relentless insult: TV demands intelligent viewers ignore what they see to believe only what they’re told. Seconds after the US team won the Women’s World Cup on Sunday, Fox’s lead analyst Aly Wagner, former US World Cupper, gushed this:

More

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don’t know one person who watched this.

Anonymous said...

Exactly!

Anonymous said...

Nice analogy.
After seeing the foul mouthed woman talk about the key to the city, I hope the team gets dismantled. I was so happy to see them win, but this has been so anticlimactic.

Anonymous said...

yes, exactly. the women won a puffball tournament that no one cared about but the virtue warriors who DEMAND that we fawn over them. As for equal pay? The men only get bonuses--the women get salaries. Which they agreed to in a collectively bargained agreement. So now they want bonuses AND salaries.