Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, September 10, 2018

Conn. Workers Sue SEIU for Back Dues

Government workers in Connecticut have filed a class-action suit to recover their wages in the wake of the Supreme Court's ruling against coercive unionism.

Employees with the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection are suing the state chapter of Service Employees International Union, Local 2001, to win back dues and agency fees the state required them to pay as a condition of employment. The suit comes just months after the Supreme Court declared forced-dues schemes in the public sector an unconstitutional violation of the First Amendment. It alleges the department and union have made no effort to reimburse workers for mandatory payments.

"Local 2001 and the State Defendants acting under color of state law to force employees to join a union or pay a fee as a condition of continued employment have violated Plaintiffs' rights," the suit says. "Defendants, acting in concert with one another, have deprived, and continue to deprive, Plaintiffs and class members' of their constitutional rights."

More here

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just goes to show that even in the privileged liberal state of Connecticut they want their money.

Anonymous said...

Nice! Hope they win!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with that! I would just cut my losses and be glad you are not still paying union dues. I on the other hand Joined Afscme because I was the only hold out in my office who had not joined, so I joined out of peer pressure my my coworkers and my supervisor to be a "team player".

When the supreme court decision came down, I contacted my HR department to see about having my union dues stopped and that I no longer wished to be in this union. I was told I had to notify my union by certified letter that I no longer wished to be in this union and to have my dues stopped. In another words, I would have to confront them directly and get permission to have my dues stopped!

So I guess, once you join, you can never leave!

Anonymous said...

Some think unions are present to be the workers' advocate, but since early on, they've become a tool to control them and to gain political power in things that don't affect workers.

Anonymous said...

I am in a union and make more money then most people on the shore. Unions set the scale in many trades. I don’t care what the do with my $20.00 a week when I make $2000.00 a week.