Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Article on Kavanaugh’s sports reporting is the greatest thing you’ll read all day

The humorist James Thurber once differentiated between a laugh and a New Yorker laugh. With the New Yorker , there are no garish guffaws. The publication aims only for small, mirthful chuckles.

At least, I remember reading Thurber saying this. I can’t find the quote anywhere, and now I’m wondering if I’m having a false memory. Anyway, that’s the anecdote I remember, and I’m sticking to it.

I was reminded of this Thurber anecdote* Monday evening after I read a New Yorker article titled, “ Brett Kavanaugh, Sportswriter.”

On first blush, the article, which goes into excruciating analysis of the judge’s writing when he did sports reporting in college for the Yale Daily News, seems to be written in earnest. It also seems to be totally insane.

The article isn’t crazy, though the following passages suggest otherwise:

No comments: