Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Senator Addie Eckardt, District 37

Assistance Provided to State Retirees Transitioning to Medicare Part D

Governor Larry Hogan recently announced, in conjunction with the Maryland General Assembly Leadership, that the state will provide assistance to State of Maryland retirees who are transitioning to Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage on January 1, 2019. This shift was a decision made in 2011 as a part of state pension reform.

To assist with this transition, the State will institute a one-year transition program that will reimburse all out-of-pocket pharmaceutical expenses for impacted retirees in excess of $1,500, which is the limit under the current state plan. This program will be open to all state retirees shifting to Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage on January 1, 2019.

Furthermore, the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) will provide further assistance to these retirees through the existing Senior Prescription Drug Assistance Program (SPDAP); this program assists low- and middle-income Maryland residents with their Medicare Part D premium and coverage gap costs. The program currently provides a maximum of $40 per month to assist eligible participants cover their Medicare Part D premiums and $1,000 toward the coverage gap subsidy.

As a member of the Senate Budget & Taxation Committee, I have been following this issue closely and have been working to make sure that all impacted know of their resources and options. This bipartisan solution on behalf of Governor Hogan, the Maryland General Assembly, and all departments involved will aid those making this transition.

Further program details will be shared as soon as they are finalized. To read Governor Hogan’s full press release, please visit: http://governor.maryland.gov/2018/07/13/governor-larry-hogan-general-assembly-provide-assistance-to-state-retirees-transitioning-to-medicare-part-

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Must take Medicare Part D as BCBS has dropped Prescription Coverage???

Anonymous said...

I have one drug that is $13,000.00 per month if I have to pay for it out of pocket. I spoke with my oncologist and he said the drug is keeping me alive and without it I will die. I don't have that kind of money. I pray to GOD that there will be some help out there for me because without it.....it will only have months to live. The doctors at the hospital said they will help me fight to get my medication but I'm not sure that will help. Prayer is all I have.

ONLY MONTHS TO LIVE.

Anonymous said...

You can thank former Governor Martin O'Malley for this fiasco. Just another of his many failures.